Butterfly and Dragonfly...C&C appreciated

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Butterfly and Dragonfly...C&C appreciated

Very nice images!

Real Name
    Wendy

Both are beautiful. Great subjects and nice job on the backgrounds. Just curious, but are these as shot or did you superimpose the subject on a different background. I only ask because as much as I love the first shot it almost looks like the butterfly is not hanging on to anything and somehow or other the proportions of the butterfly to the plant don't look quite right. Whatever the case, I still love the shot, but enquiring minds need to know these things.

Wendy

Real Name
    Paul

Nice crisp well detailed subjects and a softer colored smooth background....whats not to love? Well done Joe!

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Very nice images!
    Thanks your for viewing and commenting Richard

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Nice crisp well detailed subjects and a softer colored smooth background....whats not to love? Well done Joe!
    Thanks Paul, I appreciate your comment.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Both are beautiful. Great subjects and nice job on the backgrounds. Just curious, but are these as shot or did you superimpose the subject on a different background. I only ask because as much as I love the first shot it almost looks like the butterfly is not hanging on to anything and somehow or other the proportions of the butterfly to the plant don't look quite right. Whatever the case, I still love the shot, but enquiring minds need to know these things.

Wendy
    Thanks Wendy, they are as shot. In the photograph of the butterfly I used a reverse S curve in Adobe Lightroom 4 that muted the background and highlighted the butterfly. Here is a shot from the series without any post processing. This is SOOC converted to a JPEG for posting. For a reason unknown to me some butterflies I shoot against a blurred background appear superimposed.

Last edited by jprzybyla; 29th March 2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: topo

Real Name
    Jim

Hi, Joe. The butterfly seems to be technically correct. All in focus, well lighted, properly framed with the background out of focus, but unfortunately, it lacks a "soul". The artistic intent did not come through.

The dragonfly has what the butterfly lacks. This is a very interesting image, it tends to draw the observer into it. There are interesting angles, colors, the eyes and wings are in focus, even if the tail is not. (small flaw, easily neglected)

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Designer View Post
    Hi, Joe. The butterfly seems to be technically correct. All in focus, well lighted, properly framed with the background out of focus, but unfortunately, it lacks a "soul". The artistic intent did not come through.

The dragonfly has what the butterfly lacks. This is a very interesting image, it tends to draw the observer into it. There are interesting angles, colors, the eyes and wings are in focus, even if the tail is not. (small flaw, easily neglected)
    Thank you Jim for your viewing and comments. In response I will say that whenever I have the oppurtunity to photograph a butterfly or dragonfly it is more or less a grab shot, getting off as many frames as possible before they fly off. They are costantly on the move. So getting a image that is technically correct gives me great pleasure. Now I am not really understanding soul. I think I have an idea of what you speak. Please tell me if the image posted below has soul.

Or maybe this one...

Real Name
    Bobo

Lovely shots. I particularly like the "soft" treatment.

About "soul" - a very difficult thing to define. Personally something that looks forward appears to me to have more soul then something that looks away. Angle and perspective of the shot plays a great part in that too. Sometimes pp helps improve on that. For example the butterfly, it is a really lovely shot as done, but possibly could be better if the wings were a bit more textured making it stand out more from the soft background.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 29th March 2012 at 11:49 PM.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Lovely shots. I particularly like the "soft" treatment.
    Thanks Bobo, the more I do the more I learn. I appreciate your comments,

You have some very obliging fauna allowing you to get the pictures you have done. Personally I would crop tighter so the butterfly fills the frame.

Regarding your comment on superimposed - normally we are used to seeing the object set within its background and some elements being in focus (out of focus) etc, such as the dragonfly. So it is in keeping with the way we see things around us - 'normal vision'.

However capturing the butterfly with its wings open gives a flat and relatively shallow object to focus on, and shows the wings off particular well. The very diffuse background gives great separation which is less common and more normally seen in a 'Photoshopped' or deliberately created image.

Go with the separation - I would why have things distraction from the butterfly.

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Tresise... I appreciate your viewing and comments. It is rare that a butterfly is so obliging to hold it wings open to get off several frames.

Real Name
    Jim

Yes, Joe, both the crane and the tree have that "soul". A picture that tends to draw the viewer into the scene, and makes us think deep thoughts. Well done!

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Designer View Post
    Yes, Joe, both the crane and the tree have that "soul". A picture that tends to draw the viewer into the scene, and makes us think deep thoughts. Well done!
    Thanks for responding Jim, I had never heard the term before in relation to a photograph.

Real Name
    Jim

I didn't invent the term nor the usage. Any artistic endeavor, if successful, should engage the observer in more than merely looking. Whether it is photography, music, dance, or anything, the artist is trying to draw out some response in the observer, usually in some "emotional" way. Everything need not provoke people to the emtional brink, but it you want your work to be appreciated, leave them with something to think about and remember.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Joe,

As one that shoots the odd dragonfly himself, I have to say that is just the most beautiful.

I've never shot anything close to that good - maybe one day (and I'll be remembering this one)

Well done,

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Joe,

As one that shoots the odd dragonfly himself, I have to say that is just the most beautiful.

I've never shot anything close to that good - maybe one day (and I'll be remembering this one)

Well done,
    Thanks Dave for your appreciation and comment. As you well know they are very elusive, not staying put long. I had the camera set to 5.6 in aperature priority because of the heavy shade. I saw it perched and was able to get off several frames focusing on the head, thus the out of focus tail. I liked it because one of those frames had sharp focus on the head and wings.
    Last edited by jprzybyla; 30th March 2012 at 09:06 PM.