Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Chester in the sun

Real Name
    Neil McAllister

Chester in the sun

Taken today whilst enjoying an unseasonal warm sunny day,making the most of it!

Chester in the sun

Chester in the sun

Chester in the sun

Chester in the sun

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: Chester in the sun

I went to school in Chester and it is a wonderful and picturesque city!

I like some of your pics compositionally, but I think if you could get there during the golden hour and reshoot then you will get some more pleasing results. The midday sun is working against you slightly, although you seem to have managed the exposures quite nicely. But a warmer glowing light from the setting sun woul suit the sandstone architecture a lot more.

Thanks for sharing and bringing back some fond memories!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Neil,

The compositions work for me and the only one that shows perhaps an excess of contrast is the 3rd one.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Frank Miller

What a fascinating place to take pictures! Well done, Neil.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Nice work Neil. It's good to see people trying shots that are a bit different to create interest. #1 and #3 probably work best for me. I think both of these would have benefited from an HDR approach to balance up the shadows and highlights. Also, no disrespect to the two people in the first image but I think it would have been better without them.

I hope you don't mind but I tried a bit of pp work on these images.

Dave

Chester in the sun

Chester in the sun

Real Name
    Neil McAllister

Hello Dave,thanks for your comments,I like what you have done to the two photos,was that created using photoshop or can it also be altered using lightroom my prefered software? As to the two figures on the first photo,I spent some time there taking some with and without people,usually I'm a person who does'nt like people included in architectural photos but I could'nt decide which I prefered.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Neilmac50 View Post
    Hello Dave,thanks for your comments,I like what you have done to the two photos,was that created using photoshop or can it also be altered using lightroom my prefered software? As to the two figures on the first photo,I spent some time there taking some with and without people,usually I'm a person who does'nt like people included in architectural photos but I could'nt decide which I prefered.
    Neil yes I did this in Photoshop CS5. The first one was fairly straightforward - adjusted Shadows up and Highlights down and added a bit of sharpening.

The second was a little more complicated - had to select the really bright grass areas and create a layer mask on which the brightness was reduced considerably. Also adjusted Shadows and Highlights and added some sharpening.

I'm not familiar with what you can do in Lightroom I'm afraid.

I do agree that sometimes people can enhance a shot sometimes but they seem to be a distraction in this case - but that's just my opinion !!

Dave