Thread: A Study in Early Morning Light

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

A Study in Early Morning Light

These three shots are of the Story Bridge in Brisbane (the one that Trace climbed a little while ago). I wanted to experiment with the changing early morning light. The first was taken about 15 mins before sunrise, the second about 15 mins after and the third about 30 mins after. They are all different but I wonder which is the most effective ?

Dave

Real Name
    Eugen

Re: A Study in Early Morning Light

Very interesting study Dave.
    Three images with major differences between them. I find it difficult to chose one.
    First image - best overall light and colours but somehow the street and bridge lights are too much for me.
    Second image - very nice warm colour of the rising sun but there is too much shadow in the lower part.
    Third image - still keeps a bit of warmth and much less shadow.

I think the third one works best for me.

Well, if you could get a composite from all three with the best bits that will be perfect just kidding. Awesome work Dave.

Real Name
    Ludwig Keck

The third one - with full sun, works best for me too, especially since the foreground has more in it. The first photo would work better if you made it darker - with the corrected exposure here, there is not the feeling of daybreak. It should show that the lights were on for a reason. I am also disturbed by the cut off building and the excessive foreground.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks Eugen and Ludwig for your comments. I think I prefer #3 too, same reasoning as you both had. I had actually gone looking for the effect in #2 but it didn't work out as well as I'd hoped.

I agree the first would be better without the bridge lights but I don't have enough influence around here to have them turned off !!

The building that is cut-off is a very tall building and I did try getting it all in shot but it took too much focus off the bridge and changed the whole nature of the shot.

Dave