Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Card Problem

Card Problem

Card is a sandisk extreme HD video 30MB/s hc1 class 10 16gb.

Everything has been working fine the then an hour ago I took the card out to upload some of today pictures.

On my computer the card says eos. Never ever said that, normally just F dive.

Card Problem

It is not showing anything in the file. If I do a scan on f drive avast scans and I can see the image numbers as it scans.

Try and put card back in camera and it says.... Can not create folder, no pictures on the card to delete and picture count is at zero on the camera.

Someone please tell me this is fixable.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

re: Card Problem

Sounds like the file system on the card has become corrupt.

If it were me, I'd try some of the photo rescue software available (I think Sandisk have their own), and (assuming a successful recovery), then lov-level format the card IN THE CAMERA and see how it goes from there (with some test shots).

If you have any further grief, replace the card.

Real Name
    Bill S

Pandora Recovery is a good free option to try rescuing the files.

I'm not sure if Windows will let you, but you could try checking the file system. Right click on the drive, select Properties, then select the Tools tab (if it is available) then the Check Now button (if available).

- Bill

Thanks Colin. Looks like I might have to go down your route.

Bill. Downloaded it, but it kept crashing. Something on the card it doesn't like. What ever it is and how it got there is a mystery.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Dave,

The best one out there is Sandisk RescuPRO. It's not cheap, so be warned.

I had to invest in this after a card went bananas after doing part of a wedding shoot. Recovered all pics of the day, and the previous shoot, even though I'd formatted the card in-camera.

Card Problem

It looks a bit cartoon, but works a dream mate.

Thanks Mark.

I used one of those recovery programs. A lot couldn't be read. I have formatted the card (now in camera) and it now says....

Card Problem

this is a 16 GB card. Is that normal?

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Dave,

I think that has something to do with the way the file directories are set up on the media. Could be way off base, need someone like Colin to explain it.

Did you recover the data?

Cheers Mark.

I only lost 10 or so pictures of a triple headed daffodil that was in the garden. The program save one picture and some that I had on the card (some favs but they are all on pc and ex HD).

This is what it showed when trying to save files...

Card Problem

But on the plus side it did save one daff pic I wanted of a Triple Headed - 3 in 1 Daffodil ...

Card Problem

Real Name
    Ken

It would appear that there are some bad sectors on the card that formatting has isolated, so that you have only 14.8 GB available. I feel that the card is dodgy, and you should get a new one

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    It would appear that there are some bad sectors on the card that formatting has isolated, so that you have only 14.8 GB available. I feel that the card is dodgy, and you should get a new one
    I'll go and to the shop I got it from tomorrow.

Real Name
    Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Card Problem

this is a 16 GB card. Is that normal?
    That's quite normal. Not only do diskdrive/memorycard manufacturers lie to you (they count 1000 Bytes in a KiloByte, while computers use 1024 Bytes in a Kilobyte) The filesystem itself also takes a percentage of space for its structure.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Not only do diskdrive/memorycard manufacturers lie to you (they count 1000 Bytes in a KiloByte, while computers use 1024 Bytes in a Kilobyte)
    So a kilometer should really be 1024 metres?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    I would just format it in the camera and test it from there; corruptions do occur from time to time due to things like removing the card whilst it's still being written to - formatting the card in the PC (not camera) - adding/deleting/editing files on the card from the computer - Electrostatic Discharge etc. Doesn't necessarily suggest anything wrong with the card.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Boy View Post
    I think that has something to do with the way the file directories are set up on the media. Could be way off base, need someone like Colin to explain it.
    Think of it as being like a 100 page novel ... then you discover that although it's a 100 page book, but only 90 pages are the novel due to 10 pages being used by the forward, index, table of contents etc.

Real Name
    Eugen

Re: Card Problem

The file allocation table always take about 10% of the capacity - same story about everything, hdd, memory sticks ... and that space in never declared as "free". Normal behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I would just format it in the camera and test it from there; corruptions do occur from time to time due to things like removing the card whilst it's still being written to - formatting the card in the PC (not camera) - adding/deleting/editing files on the card from the computer - Electrostatic Discharge etc. Doesn't necessarily suggest anything wrong with the card.
    I got to format it on the card Colin. Took a few snaps, and they all seem to be on there. Also the camera is reading 500+ pics left in raw mode.
    It seems to ok. What would you do yourself, carry on with it on bin it?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I got to format it on the card Colin. Took a few snaps, and they all seem to be on there. Also the camera is reading 500+ pics left in raw mode.
    It seems to ok. What would you do yourself, carry on with it on bin it?
    I wouldn't be too concerned about it -- probably wasn't the card at fault.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    So a kilometer should really be 1024 metres?
    If you're on a bike, and going uphill, it usually is...

Well I got a nice result in the end. The good people at Jessops (camera store in the UK) swapped my card over for a nice shiny new faster one. So thumbs up to them

Real Name
    Hero

Colin, in the case of bits and bytes yes. In the binary world of computing it is quite silly use to decimals numbers, because they simply aren't 1:1 comparable. It's like saying there are ten eggs in a dozen or 1000metres in a mile just because the numbers are nice and round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast