Thread: Oh Deer

Real Name
    Steve

Oh Deer

Not the best shot of a deer you're likely to see on here but gotta learn somehow.
    Pointers gratefully recieved
    Oh Deer

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Oh Deer

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Not the best shot of a deer you're likely to see on here but gotta learn somehow
    Exactly, so good on you for posting it up and asking for comment, Steve.

My comment would be about the aspect ratio and the particular crop that you've selected. The foreground and and those tree trunks on the left-hand side are not in focus. I wonder if that is too much of a distraction? I tend to feel that it's alright to throw the background out of focus, but feel we have a bigger challenge on our hands trying to throw the foreground out of focus.

If the idea of getting rid of the 'worst' of that out-of-focus stuff appealed, how about making a 4:5 ratio portrait image? Thinking about the the rule-of-thirds, use the top edge as it is and make a crop that puts the left-hand vertical third running up between the eyes, and the top horizontal third running along the animal's back.

Real Name
    Sharon

Nothing to add but watching with interest.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks for that Donald.
    Its still rough but better rough. If that makes any sense.
    It was such a flustered "quick get a few shots before it legs it" moment.
    Still very green to this so pretty chuffed to have just seen the damn thing.
    Hopefully next time I'll be a bit more calm.
    Oh Deer

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steve,

Can you tell us the EXIF data (shooting info.) please?

Also, were you looking for shooting or PP pointers?
    It would help to know what you have (e.g. camera + lenses, or PP Software)

Thanks,

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Steve
    At the risk of being jumped on from a great height from those who know far more about the techo side of things, can I say that in my limited experience with these sorts of shots one gets but a fleeting opportunity to catch it before it is gone forever; I have found one needs to grab it as best as one can and then sort out the details later. I hope you will please forgive my impertinence and not take offence for my fiddling with your work in PS. But it is such a majestic pose by the deer that I called in the arborists to do something about those distracting trees. This was really me just trying out an idea on the basis of trying to learn from 'what if...' I was not intending any reflection on your great pic. Thanks for sharing it.
    K

Oh Deer

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Steve, well done on capturing the shot in the first place and at that moment the last thing you are thinking about is composition.
    For me what Donald has said about the rule of thirds is correct and I try to apply this in the field as well as during PP and it does work. Your focus is a bit off which is understandable as you want to capture the image, once you get more into wildlife photography and spend more time with the animals you get to know where to find them and their habits. I try to visualize a shot before I take it, not that it works all the time but it does give a guideline and helps to calm me down. I also look at books, websites and magazines to see what wildlife images appeal to me and why then try to create this in the field.

Real Name
    Hazel

I sympathise with Mutley. I have taken far too many 'less than good' shots of wildlife. Sometimes they are just too far away for thelens you have on the camera - sometimes there is too much in the way like trees, undergrowth etc. It is exciting to try and keep trying though.

The processing ucci did is quite amazing to me (I'm not an expert with Photoshop).

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hey, neither am I, not by a long shot!

Real Name
    Steve

Ken. Nothing impertinent at all about what you've done. Looks good to me.
    Thanks Hazel and Clive for your words of encouragement.
    Sorry Dave I can't seem to get the EXIF data off my iPad. And I've since formatted the camera oops!
    The camera is a Nikon D70 and the lens a 28-200 f3.5/5.6 I do have the standard 18-70 and a 105 f2.8 micro as well.
    I was hoping for some shooting tips first. PP can come after I start learning how to shoot properly.
    Last edited by Mutley; 20th March 2012 at 09:24 PM.

Real Name
    Emmett

This is just my 2 cents, and please, only take it as that. Did you hand hold this shot? What lense were you using? I have many shot of animals taken at the spur of the moment and hand holding sometimes doesn't produce the sharpest images. Nice shot by the way.

Real Name
    Hazel

One of the things I try to do when taking animal shots with a longer lens is-------use a really fast shutter speed to help minimise camera movement. Can't always take the time to change settings though when the creature is about to leave the area!

Real Name
    James G Soto

Steve I like your second crop.