Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Shooting in AdobeRGB versus sRGB

Shooting in AdobeRGB versus sRGB

I have my monitor and printer and the Canon software and PS set to Adobe RGB...but I realized my camera is set on sRGB.....So i changed it to ADOBE RGB and noticed my number of shots i could sot in a burst was cut in half..is this normal?

Should I shoot in adobe or sRGB..does it make a differnce if everything else is in Adobe...

Pros and Cons?

Thanks guys...

Re: Shooting in AdobeRGB versus sRGB

do you shoot in jpg or RAW?
    aRGB can handle more abuse in photoshop. Use sRGB if you plan to shoot and print.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    I have my monitor and printer and the Canon software and PS set to Adobe RGB...but I realized my camera is set on sRGB.....So i changed it to ADOBE RGB and noticed my number of shots i could sot in a burst was cut in half..is this normal?

Should I shoot in adobe or sRGB..does it make a differnce if everything else is in Adobe...

Pros and Cons?

Thanks guys...
    Hi Kevin,

We discussed something similar recently - you might like to have a read of Need help: color spaces & color management workflow.

In a nutshell, sRGB has a slightly smaller range of colours - but the "up side" is that they're pretty much a range that's common to all cameras / monitors / printers - so no matter what you capture, you should be able to display and print the same colour.

Adobe RGB is capable of representing a slightly bigger range of colours - the problem is though that not all devices are capable of displaying them. For example, if your talking bright reds then the camera may capture them - the monitor may display them, but the printer won't be able to print them. On the other hand the printer will be able to print some colours that your monitor won't be able to display.

Bottom line is that sRGB is safer and less likely to get you into trouble whereas Adobe RGB has (potentially) a wider range of colours, but what you see on the screen may not be what you get on in a print (despite what you say about your monitor being "set for Adobe RGB", only a very few very expensive high-end monitors can correctly reproduce the Adobe RGB gamut; so what your seeing on your screen certainly won't be 100% correct.

In my experience, the additional colours of the Adobe RGB gamut aren't obvious to the majority of people, and often people are better off sticking to sRGB all the way (safest approach).

To answer your question, if you shoot in the wrong mode then it's easy to convert by clicking on EDIT -> CONVERT TO PROFILE (not assign profile). Anything destined for the web should also be in sRGB profile.

Colin...

ok so..

1. I want to print what i see on my monitor..all programs and printer and monitor agreeing on colors.

2. I want to upload to a web page where people can buy and have prints mailed to them or download hi res images..

So should i be doing everything including photoshop in sRGB and not AdobeRGB?

Thanks

err nevermind..i read the link u posted I guess ill switch everything back too sRGB

why is this so difficult?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    err nevermind..i read the link u posted I guess ill switch everything back too sRGB

why is this so difficult?
    I doubt that anyone has ever "lost a sale" through shooting in sRGB instead of Adobe RGB - so if you want "uncomplicated", just stick to sRGB

Which part is difficult?

Hi,

I looked over setting for aRGB and sRGB in my nikon D80, where to find that?

I have a problem also in colour, after post-processing its looks good, cleary and sharpen but when i posted it into web doesn't look likes my post-processing. For your info, I'm using PS3
    with profile color setting below:

Working Spaces

RGB: aRBG98,
    CMYK: US Web Coated SWOP v2
    Gray: Dot Grain 20%
    Spot: Dot Grain 20%

is any problem with this setting?

thanks for helps

Best,
    Kremos

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Kremos View Post
    I looked over setting for aRGB and sRGB in my nikon D80, where to find that?
    I think that Nikons have "Colour Modes" - hopefully some Nikon shooters will be able to clarify.

I have a problem also in colour, after post-processing its looks good, cleary and sharpen but when i posted it into web doesn't look likes my post-processing. For your info, I'm using PS3
    with profile color setting below:

Working Spaces

RGB: aRBG98,
    CMYK: US Web Coated SWOP v2
    Gray: Dot Grain 20%
    Spot: Dot Grain 20%

is any problem with this setting?
    Yes. The vast majority of web broswers can't handle Adobe RGB, so you'll end up with images that look darker and less saturated. Before you upload them to the web, click on EDIT then CONVERT TO PROFILE, and make sure that the destination profile is set to sRGB. Also, if you resize the images for the web then they need to be resharpened after they're down-sampled.