Thread: study in stone

Real Name
    Ken Outch

study in stone

Just an everyday, boring old garden statue. It sits beside a pathway to our house, and nobody really ever notices it now as they walk by. So I tried to frame it to give a bit of life and some animation to the mundane. Do you think I achieved any of my aim in this?
    In hindsight, is this an appropriate subject to post here; or am I off the planet and away with the pixies? Which I am willing to accept as a likely possibility
    Thanks for viewing. Comments much appreciated.
    Old ucci

study in stone

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: study in stone

Hi Ken, I think you are moving in the right direction.

The close cropping and lighting lends itself to a character study where we consider the expression on his face and wonder what he is thinking. Perhaps is is reading a childrens book to his grandkids?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ken,

Great focus and DoF control, giving him a lovely texture.

Nice light and exposure too.

I'm just not sure the looming/overhanging rocks behind him contribute though - could he have been moved forward (temporarily) in order to shoot with just the lawn in the background?

It is the one in top left corner that dominates, perhaps that could be clone replaced with more of the geen grass from right side.

Of course these suggestions would possibly ruin the picture for those viewers that know you garden (you included) because it wouldn't 'look right'

Cheers,

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Ken, I think you are moving in the right direction.
    Perhaps is is reading a childrens book to his grandkids?
    LOL Frank. Maybe. But being a statue perhaps he is just 'stoned?'
    K

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Ken,

I'm just not sure the looming/overhanging rocks behind him contribute though - could he have been moved forward (temporarily) in order to shoot with just the lawn in the background?

It is the one in top left corner that dominates, perhaps that could be clone replaced with more of the geen grass from right side.

Cheers,
    Good comment Dave. Thank you for your helpful input.I think it would work much better if I did as you suggest.
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    Toņo

Hi Ken

The round shape of the subject almost in the center of the almost square image (close to 1:1 ratio) does not work for me.

I'd prefer to see more space to the right (the direction he is looking to) or to the bottom (portrait ratio).

Toņo

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by acsky View Post
    Hi Ken

The round shape of the subject almost in the center of the almost square image (close to 1:1 ratio) does not work for me.

I'd prefer to see more space to the right (the direction he is looking to) or to the bottom (portrait ratio).

Fair enough and I respect your opinion. However I was trying to push the limits with a particular end point in view which meant I had to bend the rules a bit. If this was not to your taste and did not work for you, I can accept that, no problems. It was an experiment, as I said, with no guarantee it would work or please all.
    Thanks for taking the time to view and for posting a useful feedback comment.
    old ucci

Toņo