Thread: YADP... Yep! Another damned bird!

Real Name
    Ken Outch

YADP... Yep! Another damned bird!

This Eastern Rosella dropped by with three of its mates yesterday morning to have a feed in the back yard. They got stuck into the grass seeds. This one took time out to have a swig from the bird bath. So I shot it! With a camera of course! We usually get sparrows, finches and willy wag tails at the bird bath. Rarely rosellas. They come to feed normally, not to have a 'booze up' in the bird bath.

Thanks for viewing. Comments on how I might improve my photography are always much appreciated. But please note, my selling my camera is not an option! Not as yet anyway!
    old ucci

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: YADP... Yep! Another damned bird!

Cool shots of a cool colourful bird. How did you even come up with YADP is beyond me. Perhaps you should start writing novels?

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Cool shots of a cool colourful bird. How did you even come up with YADP is beyond me. Perhaps you should start writing novels?
    Hi Bobo
    So, is this your gentle way of telling me how I might improve my photographic skills? To nick off into the night and write novels?
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    Paul

Ken, yep cool bird, what great colors. The focus seems off though. It looks as if you focussed just infront of the bird. What focus mode did you use? I always use spot focus for such subjects. White balance seems a bit out as well.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Hi Bobo
    So, is this your gentle way of telling me how I might improve my photographic skills? To nick off into the night and write novels?
    Cheers
    Ken
    Not at all - in addition to or incorp the pics into the novel - a novel way to do novels. haha

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Ken, yep cool bird, what great colors. The focus seems off though. It looks as if you focussed just infront of the bird. What focus mode did you use? I always use spot focus for such subjects. White balance seems a bit out as well.
    Hi Paul
    Thanks for good critique. Much appreciated. I do use spot focus. Maybe should have allowed for more depth of field? As for the white balance I usually run on auto setting. I have re-opened a couple of pix in PS and used the auto raw white point selector to adjust the white point. Are these any better?
    I wonder if part of the problem was that all these shots were taken through a closed window. I couldn't open it as the movement and noise of doing so would have had this bird gone in a flash. They are extremely flighty.So I just had to take what was on offer.
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Not at all - in addition to or incorp the pics into the novel - a novel way to do novels. haha
    Groan.... and I thought my puns were unbelievably bad! I tell you what. I reckon bashing out a novel would be far easier than taking a good photo!
    ken

Real Name
    Paul

No worries Ken, honest C&C is what has helped me grow as a photog and I am working at being able to give as much as I have recieved. I think that did help these. Birds....man the can be fun to photograph but the can make you pull your hair out just as well! I am a bald man you know.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    No worries Ken, honest C&C is what has helped me grow as a photog and I am working at being able to give as much as I have recieved. I think that did help these. Birds....man the can be fun to photograph but the can make you pull your hair out just as well! I am a bald man you know.
    Hi Paul
    I am just so thankful for the help I get in CIC from experts such as you. It has been invaluable. And as for being challenged in the head of hair department? Well, I am not bald! I have just grown taller at a faster rate than my hair!
    Thank you for your help
    Ken

Real Name
    Paul

Don't go spreading rumors now Ken, I am bald but no expert. Thank you for the compliment all the same.

Real Name
    randy

Perhaps with the savings from not buying hair care products will allow for the purchase of the new telephoto

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Ken. The focus is a bit out and the one with the water might work better with more of the reflection showing. I found with birds (and animals) that I tried to fill the whole frame with the bird, now I just pull back a wee bit which gives a bit more to work with in PP and gives the bird a bit more space in the picture.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Ken, the colours in the Rosella's are fantastic!

I'm not sure what to tell you about the focus though, as even in the third image where the bird's head appears to be closer and the birds tail is further away, the branch he is sitting on looks sharper than the bird. There is no EXIF data that I can see so my best guess is that the bird wasn't holding still enough for the shutter speed that was used? If it were strictly a DoF issue then particularly in the third image some part of the bird close to the focal plane of the branch should have been really sharp. Hope this helps!