Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Night concert help

Real Name
    John Tipps

Night concert help

I was a second at an outdoor party last year and they have asked me to be the only one this year. Not much pressure last year and I got a few good shots but this year I need to do much better. They will want some crowd shots both from stage and from the back looking toward the band and of course others. I have posted one to give you an idea, it will be the same venue this year. I have a good assortment of lens and shoot a Nikon D 300. I also have 3 SB 600's that I can use off camera. I thought about mounting two of them on the sides of the stage and use triggers but not sure if it is worth the effort.

I also have a flash bracket to get the flash above the camera. I thought this might be good while walking around the concert shooting in the crowd, any thoughts?
    Night concert help
    Night concert help

Real Name
    Raf

Re: Night concert help

what about a slower shutter speed and 2nd curtain?
    also, your idea of mounting flash on parts of the stage is a great idea. i know someone that used the technique quite a lot

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

In terms of image quality - Do more of of what you did last year. These look good.

In terms of assuring that quality - Do you have a second body as back-up? For such an event (you can't re-shoot it the next evening) you got to know that you're able to keep shooting. I'd want a second body with full batteries in the bag.

In terms of ligthign, I defer to those who know much more about the subject than me.

Real Name
    John Tipps

Quote Originally Posted by Noice View Post
    what about a slower shutter speed and 2nd curtain?
    also, your idea of mounting flash on parts of the stage is a great idea. i know someone that used the technique quite a lot
    I will try the shutter speed, thank you. By 2nd cutain do you mean rear curtain sync?

Real Name
    John Tipps

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    In terms of image quality - Do more of of what you did last year. These look good.

In terms of assuring that quality - Do you have a second body as back-up? For such an event (you can't re-shoot it the next evening) you got to know that you're able to keep shooting. I'd want a second body with full batteries in the bag.

In terms of ligthign, I defer to those who know much more about the subject than me.
    Thank you Donald. I didn't take another camera last year but but I will this year. 3 flashes, extra batteries, and probably too much other stuff but I had rather have it and not need it than the other way around.

Real Name
    John Tipps

One thing I might add, on the top picture the crowd was basically black as shot but I was able to pull them out with some selective lightening. That is why I thought of the mounted flashes to maybe help that issue. Thanks for your help.

The only extra suggestion I would make, John, is to get yourself an 'apprentice'.

If you are now #1 cameraman enlist the help of a second person; as happened last year.

Knowing that there is suitable back up always takes the pressure off. So much can go wrong and if you are the only one it can result in total failure. For me, a second person is better back up than a second camera.

There must be a number of candidates for the position of unpaid 'learner' at an event like that.

Real Name
    John Tipps

Geoff, I feel pretty dumb not thinking of that since that is what I did last year.
    Good idea, thank you. I think it also helps too because last year the pro and I had different ideas so we produced different shots.

Real Name
    John Tipps

I wanted to post some of my shots from the party. I think I did better than last year but it is still a challenge with all the different lighting. I would welcome any critique.
    Night concert help
    Night concert help
    Night concert help
    Attached Images Attached Images