Thread: Moth at about 8:1, 250 stacked images

Real Name
    Johan J Ingles-Le Nobel

Moth at about 8:1, 250 stacked images

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Moth at about 8:1, 250 stacked images

Johan,

What is your setup for a shot like this? What lens? I assume a focusing rail (if so, what brand?). What lighting? Is the moth alive? Do you have any shots of your setup while you're taking these stacks (even if it is a crappy cell phone shot)? What stacking software?

All of these stacks are incredibly impressive, and I'd like to start trying my hand at them.

- Bill

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Moth at about 8:1, 250 stacked images

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    All of these stacks are incredibly impressive, and I'd like to start trying my hand at them.
    Me to! Me to! I see you are using Zerene Stacker which has been recommended here at CiC before, but I'd love to understand 'the rest of the story'. In addition to bill's enquiry, I have questions. For example, if the moth is alive, how to you get it to hold still for 250 shots. If it is not, how do you keep it looking so life-like and how do you hold it while taking the images? The possibilities of getting fascinating images in this macro world appear to be endless! Thank you in advance for the pointers, links, tutorials, whatever you are willing to share.