Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Old Wine Press

Real Name
    Frank Miller

The Old Wine Press

I was fascinated at how they make wine with grapes grown on the side of a volcano and almost no rainfall on the island of Lanzarote. They dig a pit in the volcanic ash to get down to more acceptable soil, plant the grape vines, then carefully cover the soil with the volcanic ash. The ash holds the heat of the day through the night and the extremely high humidity in the morning collects as dew just below the ash layer and waters the vine. Because there is a strong continuous North-East trade wind, they have to build semicircular walls out of volcanic rock to protect the plants from the wind.

La Geria, a protected area, is the most prestigious wine growing area on the island and produces between 5 and 6 million kilos of grapes per year.

The Old Wine Press

I think I got this on pretty close to right so anything you feel needs improvement would be welcomed!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The Old Wine Press

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    I think I got this on pretty close to right so anything you feel needs improvement would be welcomed!
    Nope. I'll go with that one. If I wanted to be really nit-picky, go the dip at the bottom of the large hill - just to the right of press. Start to climb up the next small hill to the right. There's something (is it the top of an aerial on a building that's out there) just sitting on the sky. Maybe worth just taking that out.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: The Old Wine Press

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Nope. I'll go with that one. If I wanted to be really nit-picky, go the dip at the bottom of the large hill - just to the right of press. Start to climb up the next small hill to the right. There's something (is it the top of an aerial on a building that's out there) just sitting on the sky. Maybe worth just taking that out.
    Sharp eyes, Donald. Actually it is the top one of the few trees in this part of the island. I cleared it as well at the three vehicles and the farmer that looked like white and orange spots in the distance as too much detail is lost at this resolution and you can't really tell what they were anyway.

The Old Wine Press