Thread: Bridge through silence

Real Name
    Sara

Pier through silence

Dear CIC Members,

I would like to know your opinion and critique
    Thank you so much

Bridge through silence
    Last edited by Egyptian Face; 19th March 2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Name Changing

Real Name
    Otmar

Re: Bridge Through Silence

Your link leads to this message:

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
    BR aekonet

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by aekonet View Post
    Not sure why that happened, it was there at 9am.

I have replaced the link with the album image.

Real Name
    Sara

Quote Originally Posted by aekonet View Post

BR aekonet
    Ooooh i don't know what 's happenned ... but i think it is working now ... Sorry for that

Real Name
    Sara

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Not sure why that happened, it was there at 9am.

I have replaced the link with the album image.
    i am sorry ... i think i am making troubles i have another question : how can i change the thread name?
    Thx

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Sara

You are not making any trouble at all. Once you do learn how to post images it all seems very easy., But it can pose some problems to start with.

I do not think you can change the thread name. But a Moderator can, if you tell us the change you want.

Real Name
    Sara

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Sara

You are not making any trouble at all. Once you do learn how to post images it all seems very easy., But it can pose some problems to start with.

I do not think you can change the thread name. But a Moderator can, if you tell us the change you want.
    i learned now how to post the pic in a big size finally

I need to change the thread name : "Bridge through Bridge" to " Bridge through silence" ... if so ...then thanks a lot
    What about ur opinion in the photos? :/

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Sara,

Quote Originally Posted by Egyptian Face View Post
    I need to change the thread name : "Bridge through Bridge" to " Bridge through silence" ... if so ...then thanks a lot
    Done that

What about ur opinion in the photo?
    It usually helps if the photographer has told us what they think of it, or what they know is less than ideal, and perhaps what they wanted to convey, although that last may influence us further.

OK, starting from scratch, as a stand alone picture titled "Bridge through silence", what does this come across as?

I see a picture of a pier (not a bridge) and a an upturned boat
    I can't see the EXIF data, but a slow shutter speed has been used as evidence by the clouds scudding by and the smooth water surface
    It is quite well exposed, nothing blown
    The white balance is very cool (blue-magenta), I'd sample on the boat
    It has a good tonal range
    The horizon is almost level (I would have said it was by eye, but a critical check revealed it is very slightly high on the left)

The composition is pleasant enough with no major problems, I do wonder; if a slightly higher shooting position were possible, it would help separate the coast on right (and sea horizon) from the pier hand rail, but there is a small gap there. The rock that appears to be rolling by itself out of frame on lower left corner is an unfortunate distraction, perhaps cloning out the rock, or at least the 'trail', would be possible.

I can imagine that it was quiet and serene when you took it - assuming there's no airport/freeway behind you

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Bridge through silence

I would like to know your opinion and critique
    Hi Sara, this question comes up fairly frequently and indeed, we want to help others to grow in their photographic aspirations as much us we can but we have a problem in trying to answer this question.

Unless we know the photographer fairly well and understand their likes, dislikes, goals, and aspirations, there are simply too many aspects of an image to be able to comment on them all. In addition, photographers skills range extremely widely and an expert photographer in, say macros, can be a complete novice in, say portraiture.

The reason I say all of this is that although we really want to provide appropriate feedback, geared to your level of interest and concern, and at your level of expertise for that aspect of photography, we really need your help.

Dave has hit upon this but I'd like to expand the request with the hopes that others will consider the following as well.

When you post an image for which you want feedback that goes beyond 'that's a nice picture', please tell us a bit about what you were trying to accomplish when you took the image. Are you interested in how to get the best from your camera settings? Or perhaps some technical aspect such as depth of field, contrast, focus, motion blur, white balance, details in shadows, blown highlights, etc. Perhaps you are concentrating on composition where subject matter, level horizon, the use of lines, colours, shapes, are important. Perhaps you have done all you can and are happy with the initial image and are more interested in post processing; cloning, cropping, correcting parallax, merging images, panoramas, focus stacking or any other multitude of retouching techniques.

Maybe you are a beginner and just want to know a few basic ideas on how to improve a snapshot.

The hardest post to provide effective feedback for is one that has multiple diverse images. A single image per post is preferred but on occasion asking for which image is best of several of the same subject can be effectively responded to as well.

Almost any image posted for critique can have a lot of suggested changes ranging from the commonly accepted norms for any image all the way to personal preferences that may or may not fit your style.

Our goal is to provide you with one or two improvements for each image that you can effectively use to move the image in the direction you want to take it. If we provide too many suggestions for improvements the learning process can become muddled and confusing so it is best to sharpen your technique on only one or two aspects at a time, then move on to reshoot, repost, and look for more feedback.

When you post your image, please let us know, if possible:

1. what you are trying to accomplish

2. what you did to move toward that goal

3. what aspect of the image you would like to see improved, and

4. what you feel your skill level is in this area.

This will help us to provide you with the best possible feedback for your image and learning experience.

Thank you for considering my long-winded response!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 12th March 2012 at 02:36 PM.

Well my first quick thoughts, Sara, is that it is excessively blue and the shutter speed does seem to have been a bit on the long side. As previously mentioned.

Real Name
    Andrew

Good advice Frank, and Dave. I often just post pictures without asking or telling anything specific about the setting, mood, etc. I will start that myself now!!

Real Name
    Chuck

Sara, I am a relatively new to CIC, and I have found the members of the community to be very helpful. Frank and Dave have provided some valuable advice. I think you will find a group of people ready and willing to help you.

It may take some time for you to learn how to use CIC effectively for you. I hope you will work through the start up period. I am confident you will find the CIC community to be helpful and supportive.

I look forward to seeing your future postings.

Cheers, Chuck

Real Name
    Sara

It usually helps if the photographer has told us what they think of it, or what they know is less than ideal, and perhaps what they wanted to convey, although that last may influence us further.

OK, starting from scratch, as a stand alone picture titled "Bridge through silence", what does this come across as?

I see a picture of a pier (not a bridge) and a an upturned boat
    I can't see the EXIF data, but a slow shutter speed has been used as evidence by the clouds scudding by and the smooth water surface
    It is quite well exposed, nothing blown
    The white balance is very cool (blue-magenta), I'd sample on the boat
    It has a good tonal range
    The horizon is almost level (I would have said it was by eye, but a critical check revealed it is very slightly high on the left)

The composition is pleasant enough with no major problems, I do wonder; if a slightly higher shooting position were possible, it would help separate the coast on right (and sea horizon) from the pier hand rail, but there is a small gap there. The rock that appears to be rolling by itself out of frame on lower left corner is an unfortunate distraction, perhaps cloning out the rock, or at least the 'trail', would be possible.

I can imagine that it was quiet and serene when you took it - assuming there's no airport/freeway behind you

Hope that helps,

Thanks sooooooooooo much Dave for your great help .... it is really very useful for me to learn more ...but ur assuming was wrong ) because behind me directly there is a lot of traffic
    I can see in somehow that u like the photo and this made me really happy unless the coast on the right and the rock on th left ))

In real i will try to write what i am thinking about the photo ... but in the next time
    The EXIF:
    F-NUM:5.6 - SS:32SEC - ISO:100 - Focal Length:21

Thank u so much really ----<---@

I will change it to "Pier through silence"
    Last edited by Donald; 13th March 2012 at 08:03 AM.

Real Name
    Sara

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Sara, this question comes up fairly frequently and indeed, we want to help others to grow in their photographic aspirations as much us we can but we have a problem in trying to answer this question.

Unless we know the photographer fairly well and understand their likes, dislikes, goals, and aspirations, there are simply too many aspects of an image to be able to comment on them all. In addition, photographers skills range extremely widely and an expert photographer in, say macros, can be a complete novice in, say portraiture.

The reason I say all of this is that although we really want to provide appropriate feedback, geared to your level of interest and concern, and at your level of expertise for that aspect of photography, we really need your help.

Dave has hit upon this but I'd like to expand the request with the hopes that others will consider the following as well.

When you post an image for which you want feedback that goes beyond 'that's a nice picture', please tell us a bit about what you were trying to accomplish when you took the image. Are you interested in how to get the best from your camera settings? Or perhaps some technical aspect such as depth of field, contrast, focus, motion blur, white balance, details in shadows, blown highlights, etc. Perhaps you are concentrating on composition where subject matter, level horizon, the use of lines, colours, shapes, are important. Perhaps you have done all you can and are happy with the initial image and are more interested in post processing; cloning, cropping, correcting parallax, merging images, panoramas, focus stacking or any other multitude of retouching techniques.

Maybe you are a beginner and just want to know a few basic ideas on how to improve a snapshot.

The hardest post to provide effective feedback for is one that has multiple diverse images. A single image per post is preferred but on occasion asking for which image is best of several of the same subject can be effectively responded to as well.

Almost any image posted for critique can have a lot of suggested changes ranging from the commonly accepted norms for any image all the way to personal preferences that may or may not fit your style.

Our goal is to provide you with one or two improvements for each image that you can effectively use to move the image in the direction you want to take it. If we provide too many suggestions for improvements the learning process can become muddled and confusing so it is best to sharpen your technique on only one or two aspects at a time, then move on to reshoot, repost, and look for more feedback.

When you post your image, please let us know, if possible:

1. what you are trying to accomplish

2. what you did to move toward that goal

3. what aspect of the image you would like to see improved, and

4. what you feel your skill level is in this area.

This will help us to provide you with the best possible feedback for your image and learning experience.

Thank you for considering my long-winded response!
    Well !!! What a long reply... WaaaW i can't express my thankful Frank for ur time to help me ) thank u soooooooooooo much
    In this photo, i was trying to shoot my first long shutter experiment with a good composition (as i wish) ... I loved the clouds in the sky this day with this upturned boat on the shore ... This pier is located in Alexandria seashore in Egypt
    The EXIF (again) :
    F-NUM:5.6 - SS:32SEC - ISO:100 - Focal Length:21 - with Canon 550D

The problem in this photo i can see:
    1- i feel the sky is noisy somehow
    2- i can't get the idea of metering and how it influence the photo itself? it was spot metering!!!
    3- i didn't add any effects using photoshop ... but i feel the white balance is not correct or the photo is so "blue"

"am i doing the right thing?!!" - Hope so -

thx a lot again and again for ur kind support and ur usual help Frank
    I will do my best next time ... Promise

Real Name
    Sara

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Well my first quick thoughts, Sara, is that it is excessively blue and the shutter speed does seem to have been a bit on the long side. As previously mentioned.
    I agree about the blue thing i don't know the reason in real ... but i can't understand the meaning of " the shutter speed does seem to have been a bit on the long side"?

Thank u so much Geoff

Real Name
    Sara

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Good advice Frank, and Dave. I often just post pictures without asking or telling anything specific about the setting, mood, etc. I will start that myself now!!
    Andrew They are so helpful really ... and yes we should start to add some thoughts Wish u the best

Real Name
    Sara

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Chuck View Post
    Sara, I am a relatively new to CIC, and I have found the members of the community to be very helpful. Frank and Dave have provided some valuable advice. I think you will find a group of people ready and willing to help you.

It may take some time for you to learn how to use CIC effectively for you. I hope you will work through the start up period. I am confident you will find the CIC community to be helpful and supportive.

I look forward to seeing your future postings.

Cheers, Chuck
    Chuck that is totally right ... i found them very supportive yes CIC is the best really
    I will try my best ... Promise
    Thanks a lot Chuck

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I agree about the blue thing i don't know the reason in real ... but i can't understand the meaning of " the shutter speed does seem to have been a bit on the long side"?

Thank u so much Geoff
    Sara

What Geoff will mean by this statement is that you maybe made too long an exposure.

As you state, this was deliberately a long exposure. The next question is then - How long should the exposure be to create the best effect that you are seeking?

There is no 'correct', objective answer to this. It is subjective and is a matter for personal interpretation. But it is still possible to have a discussion between colleagues based on this subjective assessment.

We can, for instance, ask the question - 'Was it better to have a long exposure oin this image in order to allow the water to appear completely smooth, or would it have been better to have a shorter exposure so that the water retained some detail?

And, as I say, there is no definitive 'correct' answer. There is only artistic interpretation.

I hope this enables you to understand the point Geoff was making.

Real Name
    Sara

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Sara

What Geoff will mean by this statement is that you maybe made too long an exposure.

As you state, this was deliberately a long exposure. The next question is then - How long should the exposure be to create the best effect that you are seeking?

There is no 'correct', objective answer to this. It is subjective and is a matter for personal interpretation. But it is still possible to have a discussion between colleagues based on this subjective assessment.

We can, for instance, ask the question - 'Was it better to have a long exposure oin this image in order to allow the water to appear completely smooth, or would it have been better to have a shorter exposure so that the water retained some detail?

And, as I say, there is no definitive 'correct' answer. There is only artistic interpretation.

I hope this enables you to understand the point Geoff was making.
    Okay Donaold i got your point now and the Geoff view too ... The look of smooth water was better for me ... like the water is sleeping ... there is no wave ... and the boat is upside down on the shore and it won't navigate ... just the pier that aim to nowhere

it gives me more quiteness, silence and peace
    This is my point of view

Thx Donald for the clarrification

Real Name
    Frank Miller

In this photo, i was trying to shoot my first long shutter experiment with a good composition (as i wish) ... I loved the clouds in the sky this day with this upturned boat on the shore ... This pier is located in Alexandria seashore in Egypt The problem in this photo i can see:
    1- i feel the sky is noisy somehow
    2- i can't get the idea of metering and how it influence the photo itself? it was spot metering!!!
    3- i didn't add any effects using photoshop ... but i feel the white balance is not correct or the photo is so "blue"
    It looks like you are starting to get some effective assistance, Sara! The blue colouring and the noise in the sky are, in part, by-products of the long exposure. Both can be addressed in post processing with colour balance and de-noise software. The overall exposure looks to be very close to me as the image conveys an early morning or early evening look, which is partly the result of the blue in the white balance.

If you need assistance in colour balance and noise removal, we will need to know what post processing software you have available and how comfortable you are with using it to accomplish these goals.

Much of what I see in this image is perfectly acceptable if you are trying to create that early morning/evening feeling. In addition, is is a pleasing composition with relatively good technical aspects for that kind of an image.

As your goal is to learn more about long exposures and metering, this might be a good time to go back and experiment with different metering approaches (but not change anything else for that series of experiments). For the second learning experiment, try shooting different time length exposures and again, make sure you keep the exposure values stable.

Be sure to keep good notes so that when you evaluate the images, you can carefully compare the results of the different settings used. See how the changes affect the look of the image and what results you prefer. You can then shoot one more time using your preferred settings and you will likely be very close to what you are aiming for. If you still have question, post the results along with the notes and we can help you get closer to your goals. If you don't have any more questions about this image, please post the results so that we can all share in your success!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast