Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Newest Still Life, please have a look

Real Name
    Kevin

Newest Still Life, please have a look

An appreciative penny for your thoughts. Thanks for viewing

Last edited by kdoc856; 8th March 2012 at 10:46 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Newest Still Life, please have a look

Hi Kevin,

The most instantly noticeable thing is the lean on the window, probably caused by the camera being slightly downward pointing for the capture.

Then when we look, there are many competing elements;
    the window and flaking paint
    the textured wall
    the grain on the table top
    the tapestry thing hanging on the wall
    the seed pods, or whatever they are
    the lit lantern

That's probably too many things for most to even know what the subject is - the lantern I guess, since it is central?

Am I making any sense?

It has a good exposure and tonal range though and I like the WB.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Kevin

Dave,

My attempt (apparently less successful than I had hoped) was to create an organic gentle mood, encompassing some harmony of muted colors and light while placing some emphasis on different textures. I wanted these to be at once interesting in their differences yet harmonious at the same time.

Many still life painters and some current still life photographers use a multitude of elements, none of which would stand by themselves, but work together in achieving a certain Gestalt effect. So that's what I was shooting for.

Technically, is no perspective distortion acceptable? I wasnt sure (obviously) how to handle it with the convergence of multple rectilinears- correcting one seemed to worsen another.

Thanks for your help

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I think the lighting and exposure are perfect. All three elements are interesting, but as Dave said, you don't need all three. The lantern (primary subject) and the tapestry or the lantern and the window would both make pleasing images separately. Even just cropping this single image both ways, to make two images, would give you two interesting photos. Though the one with the window could use some distortion correction.

(I think this might be my first post here. If not the first, then the first in a very long time!)

Real Name
    Kevin

Thank you, Bev. Will try it that way

Real Name

Hi Kevin,

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    My attempt (apparently less successful than I had hoped) was to create an organic gentle mood, encompassing some harmony of muted colors and light while placing some emphasis on different textures. I wanted these to be at once interesting in their differences yet harmonious at the same time.
    Ooops, looks like I overstated the case again (sorry)

You're almost there and did achieve most of that, just that if you view the image, and hold a hand out in front of you and cover the tapestry, you get a stronger image with just the lamp and window. Or, if you cover the window, with the lamp and tapestry (although not as good).

Technically, is no perspective distortion acceptable? I wasnt sure (obviously) how to handle it with the convergence of multple rectilinears- correcting one seemed to worsen another.
    I think you just have to quickly look at the image and the window tilt is obvious - but I do like the rectilinear effect of the convergence of the top and bottom edges though, now that does remind me of a painting I've seen somewhere.

No offence was intended by my bluntness, I must try to regulate that!

Cheers,

Real Name

Hi again Kevin,

You have really got me thinking now ...

I was going to suggest that the lamp should be at the convergence point of the window lines, it looks too far to left to the naked eye - but when I checked - it is in just the right place, so good call with that.

At the risk of overstepping the mark again, here is my investigation demonstrating the convergence lines.

It also shows a square crop, after corection of the tilt - and I cloned out the tapestry left in shot.

If you wish, I'll remove the image, since I didn't ask first.

Trying to help,

Real Name
    Kevin

Dave,

Thanks so much for all your effort. No need ever to ask to edit my offerings, that what I hope for (maybe i'll place a subtext to that effect in the future for everyone).

Sorry if I sounded peevish. I worked about as hard on this thing as any image I've ever constructed, and just couldnt quite get happy with it, then you had the audacity to agree with me (when I was hoping you wouldnt) I think I do like your crop better, and definitely the perspective correction. I am appalled at how much greater objectivity I have with other peoples' images, and how blind I can be to my own obvious oversights- like evaluating my kids, I keep overlooking some of their flaws.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Real Name

I am appalled at how much greater objectivity I have with other peoples' images, and how blind I can be to my own obvious oversights- like evaluating my kids, I keep overlooking some of their flaws.
    Oh, don't get me started - just look at my P52 week 6 if you want to see me get it wrong big time with my own picture

.. and as for kids, with everyone else's, it is obvious what should be done, but your own, well that's different

Cheers,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Been observing the exchange with interest, guys.

Sorry if I sounded peevish. I worked about as hard on this thing as any image I've ever constructed, and just couldnt quite get happy with it, then you had the audacity to agree with me
    That, in my very humble opinion, says what needs to be said about the recipe for great images. Because what that says is that this was a product of passion: Of feeling. It says that this image was made with the heart not the head. It wasn't just a, 'Hey ho, let's set it up and press the button' job.

And out of that attitude, and only out of that attitude, comes great images.

The technical stuff you can teach and learn. That sort of passion is from deep within. Don't lose it Kevin.

Real Name
    Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Hi Kevin,

I think the lighting and exposure are perfect. All three elements are interesting, but as Dave said, you don't need all three. The lantern (primary subject) and the tapestry or the lantern and the window would both make pleasing images separately. Even just cropping this single image both ways, to make two images, would give you two interesting photos. Though the one with the window could use some distortion correction.

(I think this might be my first post here. If not the first, then the first in a very long time!)
    I agree with what Bev had to say, I like the exposure. Dave's crop and correction works well, although I think the exposure could be a little darker as in the original image. I am an earthy tone kind of person, so the colors work well for me. I like your use of the natural light coming in from the window.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by PBelarge View Post
    Dave's crop and correction works well, although I think the exposure could be a little darker as in the original image. I am an earthy tone kind of person, so the colors work well for me. I like your use of the natural light coming in from the window.
    Hi Pierre, (and Kevin),

I didn't increase the exposure at all, however (it now occurs to me), by cloning some wall from the middle over to the right hand side, I have destroyed the expected/natural light fall off from window across that patch. I made it look unnatural with my quick clone job, a gradient should have been aplied to pull down the exposure on the right.

Well spotted,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 10th March 2012 at 01:27 PM.