Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Got the prices on L/R 4 upgrade not a bad price!!

Real Name
    Russell

Got the prices on L/R 4 upgrade not a bad price!!

Hi, Got the email today with the L/R 4 prices not bad prices but what is a bit weird IMO is
    If I upgrade and have it sent in a box it will cost £59.09 (note the 09) that price includes postage, but if I download it it costs £60.57 with no postage £1.48 more. These internet postman must charge more I suppose
    Russ
    Just an observation. If you buy from Adobe USA on an upgrade & download it comes to approx £51
    Russ
    Last edited by russellsnr; 6th March 2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: update

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Got the prices on L/R 4 upgrade not a bad price!!

Thanks Russell for the info. Anyone know what the upgrade features? I know some of our folks have been using the beta version

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Thanks Russell for the info. Anyone know what the upgrade features?
    The Adobe FAQ page for LR4 is here (including the answer to "What's new in LR4?")

Probably the most significant changes for members of this forum are enhancements for local adjustments and greater control of tonal adjustments. For tonal adjustments, the histogram is now divided into 5 segments: blacks, shadows, exposure (midtones), highlights, and whites. The local adjustment tool now allows for 2 brushes that the user can switch between, and allows for local of adjustment of all of the slider values available in the Basic panel (now you can make local adjustments for color temperature and tint), plus noise and moire control.

Otherwise, the big new features are the new geo-tagging and book-building modules, which are sort of cool, I guess, but probably not of much interest to most CiC members.
    Last edited by Snarkbyte; 7th March 2012 at 01:14 AM.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks, Al

The enhanced capacity brushes may come in quite handy, esp. local WB control. Will check it out further. Thanks for the post

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Thanks, Al

The enhanced capacity brushes may come in quite handy, esp. local WB control. Will check it out further.
    I should have mentioned one other enhancement in LR4: soft-proofing. LR4 can create a virtual copy of a photo and show which areas of the photo are out of gamut for the destination format (jpeg, printer, Abobe RGB, custom printer gamut...). I expect this should be quite useful, especially for HDR fans.

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

Something VERY useful (to me, at least) has appeared in the Print module - the ability to 'increase' the overall luminosity of the print without juggling with exposure etc. settings. (If your prints generally come out a bit dark, you can adjust for that here. )

Real Name
    Mark

It is Amazing a huge improvement !
    Check this out!
    http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom4
    I won't go back .

I played with the Beta quite a bit, and have got the Real Thing now. As others have said, some great new features and it's cheaper than before.

One gotcha: they've redesigned the Basic Panel in the Develop (edit) module. The sliders for adjusting "exposure", contrast etc are changed to new controls with somewhat different effects. That's good: I've read various posts by Eric Chan and other designers, and the new controls are, I think, more logical and allow better control. But they're different. If you're used to making adjustments in LR3, then LR4 takes a bit of getting used to. I'm still finding it rather slower to get the same effects as I learn the new controls, although the end result is as good or better.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, Well sent the money today so await the word from that big ADOBE in the sky.
    Got to admit I have not tried the Beta but at the price is going for to good to miss IMO.
    Watched the Kelby link from Mark above and the first thought was "wonder how much Adobe paid them"?
    Must be great to get the software for free (I Assume they do).
    Russ