Thread: Protecting your gear from the effects of moisture.

Protecting your gear from the effects of moisture.

This is a question that has probably been addressed previously,however here we go. I live in an area that has
    constant high humidity ie 80-95%, subsequently I keep all my gear, cameras, lenses etc in my sling bag inside a
    large plastic box with lid and an about 200 grams of silica gel. Question should I leave the gear within a closed bag, or no bag at all, or is there any other solution that can be suggested.
    Any comment or advise would be appreciated.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Protecting your gear from the effects of moisture.

In Port Macquarie, NSW?

I would be leaving my gear OUT of the bag and also OUT of the plastic Box and keeping them in a well vented cupboard in a cool / dry area of the house (i.e. NOT the Kitchen or the Bathroom)

Air CIRCULATION is most important.

Keeping the gear (almost) air tight in a plastic box with silica gel sachets is dangerous – unless you are MONITORING the Silica Gel and DRYING them out REGULARLY.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 6th March 2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: because I can't spell

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Protecting your gear from the effects of moisture.

What Bill said..To avoid any potential of damage caused through storage, a well ventilated constant temperature location will prevent the real danger, condensation. It's the same with extremes of temperature. Back and forth will cause more problems.