Thread: Buyers Guide to Monitors......

Real Name
    Mark

Buyers Guide to Monitors......

My monitor does not seem able to render images as they print or appear on other screens. Its an iiyama Prolite 2400. I've tried to tweak it but it still does not show graduation lines at any brightness/contrast combination.

So I'm in the market for a better monitor. What should I be looking for? I'm not technically up-to-speed on monitors so a shopping list of what it can/should be able to do would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Buyers Guide to Monitors......

Mark

As you know, the market is huge out there. And I suppose that your budget also informs what sector of that market your going to be looking at.

The best most of us are likely to be able to do to help, is to refer to what we use and our thoughts about that.

Upon recommendations I got on here when I was looking, I have a Viewsonic 2433 (which doesn't seem to be made any more). I had a bit of problem with 'rolling' on it; i.e. there were bands rolling either up or down (the same way as if you look at a monitor appearing in the background on a TV show), but I seem to have managed to fix that. I am very pleased with it.

I think the Viewsonic range are quite popular (there are a few people on here use them) and come in at reasonable price (although 'reasonable' is going to vary for different people).
    Last edited by Donald; 6th March 2012 at 11:07 AM.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by UKDivemaster View Post
    My monitor does not seem able to render images as they print or appear on other screens. Its an iiyama Prolite 2400. I've tried to tweak it but it still does not show graduation lines at any brightness/contrast combination.

So I'm in the market for a better monitor. What should I be looking for? I'm not technically up-to-speed on monitors so a shopping list of what it can/should be able to do would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance

Mark
    Hi, The normal first question is How much approx do or are you prepaired to spend?
    I always direct people who ask monitor questions to http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/
    very good reviews on this site.
    I ended up with a 23" NEC
    Hope it helps
    Russ

Real Name
    Neil

Just make sure you get an IPS panel, they are far superior, even the less expensive ones, to ordinary panels. I just got a Dell UltraSharp U2412M, economy IPS and I couldn't be happier with it. So much better than my last BenQ.
    Review here http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/429...iew/index.html
    Last edited by Neelly; 6th March 2012 at 02:11 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

Hi Mark,
    Can we assume you have calibrated your monitor with a Spyder or Colormonki?
    Often monitors will not display the same levels of brightness/contrast as a print will, particularly if not calibrated.

Real Name
    Andrew

I've been looking too. Get some help and google " 10 best lcd monitors 2012". There are lots of reviews so look at the ones that keep coming up by various sources.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by krispix View Post
    Hi Mark,
    Can we assume you have calibrated your monitor with a Spyder or Colormonki?
    Often monitors will not display the same levels of brightness/contrast as a print will, particularly if not calibrated.
    I have tried eyeballing the calibration - several times. I can get close to the printed image but there is a lot of detail just missing. A case in point is my 'Frost Berry' entry to a mini-competition. On my current monitor the background is jet black, but on other people's monitors, there are editing artifacts - which detracts from the original intention of the image. I was first alerted to the problem by another member - Minichris, who pointed out that my blacks were grey.

I will try with the calibration tools you have mentioned, but as I said, I just cannot get the monitor to resolve fine changes in tone at any setting.

Buyers Guide to Monitors......