Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Roses

Roses

Experiments with a single rose and of camera flash, a water dropper, art card, an LED torch, a laser level and a kitchen tissue filter for the flash head. I am now rose blind so I could do with some impartial critique please.

No1. LED Torch light and flash diffused
    Roses

No2 same as above but different aspect
    Roses

No3 Laser light playing on the rose during a 3 second exposure
    Roses

No4 Laser light again, this time with steady beam and much shorter exposure
    Roses

No5 I know he composition is knaf but thoughts on the concept are welcome
    Roses

No6 Direct flash diffused with 2 layers of kitchen tissue (what a cheap skate)
    Roses

No7 Direct flash and more tissue. This time colorised in GIMP
    Roses

Re: Roses

Excellent stuff, I don't think No5 is naff at all.
    Cheapskate? I use a cut out from a plastic milk carton as a flash bounce and a diffuser.

I think the laser light idea is pretty inventive.

Real Name
    António Correia

So many interesting images...
    It's difficult to choose which I like best.

The use of cheap materials for the purpose is a very good point.
    I have never tried but if one sprays with liquid glycerin the impact of the little bubbles is quite interesting as well as their reflections so I heard...
    Have you used the LED torch light static or did you move it while exposing ?
    I intend to do one of these moving LED torch just to experiment. In fact, to tell the truth, I have done it once and it was OK.
    Larger LAD torches are expensive. I would like to do a landscape late evening illuminated with this equipment. Light painting that's what it is.
    You mean off camera flash, right ?

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Very interesting set. I like them all but perhaps the last one best. The "rose in hand" is an interesting composition. The first rose looks a tad blue, I don't know if it's the rose or the light.

Chuck

I have never tried but if one sprays with liquid glycerin the impact of the little bubbles is quite interesting as well as their reflections so I heard...
    Good tip Antonio I will bear this in mind.
    Have you used the LED torch light static or did you move it while exposing ?
    I intend to do one of these moving LED torch just to experiment. In fact, to tell the truth, I have done it once and it was OK.
    Larger LAD torches are expensive. I would like to do a landscape late evening illuminated with this equipment. Light painting that's what it is.
    You mean off camera flash, right ?
    The LED torch was static. I was interested to see what the bluish light would look like onthe pink rose. The LED torch I used was a £9.99p job from the local hardware superstore. It was fine for the close-up work but I can see that light painting may need an increase in power orders of magnitude away from my little flashlight....and for that you will have to pay. I have heard you can light paint with flashguns and coloured filters. The laser light used in No3 was moved around during a 3 sec exposure. It did not give the desired effect. I want to try again with larger subject matter.

Cheapskate? I use a cut out from a plastic milk carton as a flash bounce and a diffuser.
    Guess who has just rummaged in the recycling bin for a used milk carton. I think it will be fine when I get used to the smell

The first rose looks a tad blue, I don't know if it's the rose or the light.
    It is the light. The LED torch has a bluish tinge to it. Not one of the more successful experiments