Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Seminars - Have you heard of Tony Sweet?

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Seminars - Have you heard of Tony Sweet?

There's a couple of seminars happening in Toronto (and area) in the near future. One by Rick Sammon and one by Tony Sweet. I known the former has written a book (books?), but his seminar is a bit far for me to go to.
    So, I'm thinking of the Tony Sweet one, being more convenient.

So, couple of questions, anyone got experience of the guy? Does he do a good job? (I know just being a good photographer doesn't mean that they do a good talk).

Secondly, a more general question. I've never been to a seminar before, I tend to read a lot and so going to a seminar is rather different for me. Do you find them useful? What's your preference (in terms of learning styles)?

Graham

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Seminars - Have you heard of Tony Sweet?

Graham

I do not know of Tony Sweet, so can't comment. Have you looked at his website.

On the subject of seminars in general, what I always question is whether people have the same definition of these events as everyone else. You can go to events billed as 'Lecture', 'Seminar', 'Workshop', 'Symposium' and they can all start to look the same. I feel the young, event marketing people in suits (maybe I'm just jealous) have little understanding of what the differences between these forms of exchange are and use them almost at will and indiscriminately to try and make their event sound 'sexier'.

So, I always proceed with some caution. I'd want to find out what is actually going to happen. Is it going to be a session in which a person talks at you? Is there going to be a dialogue between presenter and audience? How big is that audience going to be? Is it going to include practical demonstrations of anything, or is it all going to be talk? And once you get these sorts of answers you can make an informed decision.

Personally, I find large audience participation events, where there is no real interaction between presenter and audience beyond some routine banal questions, to be a waste of time. I can probably access whatever information is going to be imparted by a different means.
    Last edited by Donald; 6th March 2012 at 01:51 PM.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Thanks for your input Donald.
    There are so many instructional forms out there, I'm trying to broaden the field I normally use and seminars/workshops are ones I have never gotten into.
    Value for money and time is important. I'd rather be out shooting, but I also want to shoot better so I am willing to try other learning methods.

Graham

Real Name
    Neil

I would be very cautious of anyone who describes themselves as a "Lensbaby Guru"

Real Name
    Richard

I would peruse the work done by the presenter. If the work is #1 better than yours and #2 the type of work that you would like to emulate; then I would suggest that you consider attending the presentation. Bottom line: If Sweet's images are pleasing to you, attend! If they are not your bag, do not attend!

Just because someone is professional (as determined by that person making money from his images), it doesn't absolutely mean that the person has anything to offer you.

As would I !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neelly View Post
    I would be very cautious of anyone who describes themselves as a "Lensbaby Guru"

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Just because someone is professional (as determined by that person making money from his images), it doesn't absolutely mean that the person has anything to offer you.
    Absolutely agree!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ttsweet View Post
    Absolutely agree!
    I'm assuming you are the said Tony. If so, a very warm welcome onto CiC. If not ..... then a very warm welcome onto CiC as well.

I hope you maybe find it interesting enough to stick around and join in some of the discussion.
    Last edited by Donald; 10th March 2012 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'm assuming you are the said Tony. If so, a very warm welcome onto CiC. If not ..... then a very warm welcome onto CiC as well.

I hope you maybe find it interesting enough to stick around and join in some of the discussion.
    I am that said person, sir! I'm always up for photographic discussion and will chime in when I can. We are entering our busy season next week and will be up your way (Toronto) in about a week and a half! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I am that said person, sir! I'm always up for photographic discussion and will chime in when I can. We are entering our busy season next week and will be up your way (Toronto) in about a week and a half! Thanks for the warm welcome!
    A hearty welcome to CiC from me as well, Tony! I hope you will have some time available to post some of your images and perhaps offer some sage advice on some of the images that the folks post here. Your contributions and insight would be warmly welcomed!

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Well, I'm changing my approach to learning, or at least adding to it (seeing what works for me before I decide to completely commit).
    Previously I focussed on being self-taught, books and mags. Now for the change up.
    1. Occassional seminars (if this one is productive)
    2. I'm gonna try a year of on-line photoshop training.
    Hopefullly I will learn faster and more effectively.
    Any other suggestions for deliberation welcome, what worked for you?
    Graham

Real Name
    Pierre

Tutorials that present via the written/photographic means are good, but limiting. Video tutorials are good in addition to the written medium. In person seminars that limit the crowd to up to 100 are good as well, just remember there is generally very little contact with the presenter. What I like about the seminar (I happen to be a presenter, so I see both sides of a seminar), is one gets to actually hear the person say what he/she has a passion for. There are nuances that even a video does not pick up and I like that. Since I present myself (the electrical industry), I look for certain aspects others may not, so I am usually picking up more than just the topic at hand.

I have presented to large crowds in the past and never will again now that I have the control - the large presentations are good for no one other than the person collecting the $$.

P.S. I happen to like Tony's style of presenting as well as his work, both photography and processing.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    A hearty welcome to CiC from me as well, Tony! I hope you will have some time available to post some of your images and perhaps offer some sage advice on some of the images that the folks post here. Your contributions and insight would be warmly welcomed!
    Greatly appreciated and will sign on to see what's up when I can. Thanks again!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Greatly appreciated and will sign on to see what's up when I can. Thanks again!!
    There's your answer, Graham.

Anyone who's a member of CiC had just GOT to be worth going along to hear! Thanks for being interested in the forum, Tony.
    Last edited by Donald; 12th March 2012 at 06:35 PM.

Real Name
    Homer

Well, I took a look at tsweet's web site and it is impressive. I like the way he can take a very ordinary subject and make it visually interesting and exciting. Alas, I have no ability in that area at all. I could probably learn bunches from him. Might have to consider a seminar if he's ever up in my area!