Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I just got a new wide angle lens.

I just got a new wide angle lens.

Comments and criticism welcome. I realize the horizon is in the middle, but other than that, how is it?I just got a new wide angle lens.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: I just got a new wide angle lens.

And for all those wondering .... it's a 16-35 f4 (the Exif data says so!).

NIKON D90, 16.0-35.0 mm f/4.0, Focal Length: 22mm (35mm equivalent: 33mm), Aperture: f/8.0, Exposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125), ISO: 500

Susan - I wonder if it would have benefitted from having the land a little bit brighter? You've nailed the exposure in the sky very well indeed. But maybe if we could see just a little bit more detail in the dark shadow areas amongst the grass and just behind that fence in front to us and over behind the rope on the right.

What do you think?

By the way, have fun with the new lens. If you haven't had a wide angle before, you'll be realising just what a whole new world it opens up for you.

Alternatively, would a crop to reduce that dark area at the bottom be worth considering?

I suppose you could lose a little from the left side to keep the same width/height ratio; or possibly try a new size ratio to give more of a panoramic effect.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Susan. Nice image, particularly the sky. I agree with Donald and Geoff ie I think you could lighten up the foreground a bit and crop a bit off the bottom of the image. Also I think the horizon needs a bit of straightening.

Dave

Real Name
    Marty Johnston

I agree with the comments above regarding image alterations. Wide angles can be a lot of fun. It won't be long before you start seeing things differently and want to photograph them wide! Enjoy that new glassware.

Donald, Geoff, Dave and Marty,
    Thanks so much for the helpful advice. I straightened the image and lightened the foreground which made a world of difference. The crop didn't work for me, however.
    Thanks again all of you,
    Susan
    I just got a new wide angle lens.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by susangb View Post
    I straightened the image and lightened the foreground which made a world of difference.
    I agree. I think that makes it a much more attractive image.

Thanks for your help.