Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pottery Commission: C&C Please

Real Name
    Chris

Pottery Commission: C&C Please

Hi friends- thanks for all the great learning here at CiC.

Here are a few pics taken at a local potters. The subject matter are commissions for my wife's church- the new chalice, etc for the alter. They wanted to document them coming out of the kiln and seeing the light of day for the first time.

Real Name
    Maria

Re: Pottery Commission: C&C Please

I Chris;
    You had a chance to take an unusual subject.
    I feel you have underexposed somewhat in most of the images.
    I would like to see a bit less around the main subject: could you get fewer items in the frame? or perhaps use a wider aperture to throw the background out of focus? There are a lot of interesting "characters" each individually competing for attention...
    I love the textures and rich colours, by the way!

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks maria,

I tend to underexpose- my eye, when processing, always seems to prefer darker shots. These were all bumped up some in PP. The depth of field was as shallow as the camera allowed in almost every case, I think? I'll keep an eye on that. The EXIF data is available if anybody is inclined.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Fit View Post
    I particularly like how the light is falling on this image.

Real Name
    Maria

Thanks maria,

.... The depth of field was as shallow as the camera allowed in almost every case, I think? ...
    Just a suggestion: if the depth of field isn't too great, try getting closer to the main subject. This will give you a more noticeable 'blur' on objects further away...cheaper than purchasing a new lens.

Real Name
    Chris

Thank you Donald- your use of light continually inspires me. And thanks again Maria!

Real Name
    Chris

I'd love to hear what anyone might have done differently? Assume for the moment that where I could stand to get these shots was limited and I was limited to natural light.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Kerry

They are nice shots. I particularly like the second one, with the light and focus falling on the cup with the cross

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks Kerry

Real Name
    Pierre

Chris
    I am not sure what they would have let you do, but there is a lot of stuff in a few of the images which distracts some from the idea of capturing the alter items. It looks like the lighting was changing - to your benefit - and there are a couple of nice images with the lighting, it would have been nice to capture less in those images.

Real Name
    Maria

I'd love to hear what anyone might have done differently? Assume for the moment that where I could stand to get these shots was limited and I was limited to natural light.

Thanks!
    If the mountain doesn't come to Mahoma... could you pick one or two pieces and place them closer to your camera? (minus the other pieces in the background, of course). I guess I'd do that, or remove the unwanted pieces from the background...
    Of course, I don't know if they would let you do that... or they may be kind enough to 'tidy up' for you?

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks again, guys. Unfortunately- we were there "by the potter's graces" if you know what I mean so staging the pieces was not an option... the pastor and congregation were very happy with the results (not a tough crowd to please as they were concerned with the photo quality, just excited by the pottery )

Since the pastor was the one who wanted to "capture the reality of the moment" - I guess I succeeded, even if the pics won't win any awards LOL.

Maria-

I also had to shoot a "catalog" of all of the alter pieces and how they are set up for various services that they printed for a binder so the alter guild had a visual guide of what went where. With the new pottery I will need to now go shoot them again in the church at some point so I hope to have another, more staged go at them.

I REALLY appreciate the feedback.

Real Name
    Maria

Thanks again... I will need to now go shoot them again in the church at some point so I hope to have another, more staged go at them.

I REALLY appreciate the feedback.
    We are watching you, Chris... and looking forward to the new pictures.
    Main thing: have fun and do what you think looks right... never mind other photographers' opinions: yours is what matters most. And photography styles come and go
    There may be a historian in future looking for non-staged pictures of church pottery. Not every image has to be of 'fine art exhibition' standard.