Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 52 by Chuck Schneebeck

Real Name
    Chuck

Project 52 by Chuck Schneebeck

I am looking forward to using Project 52 to help me develop my photography skills. I am relatively new to photography, so I have a lot to learn. I live in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We have snow on the valley floor for six months or more each year. Significant snow will remain on the mountains for an additional three or four months each year. I am finding it a challenge to get decent photos in a white world.

My primary interest is in photographing nature, landscapes and wildlife. Jackson Hole has diverse and abundant wildlife species. The photographic opportunities are many and often challenging. The wildlife just don’t realize that they should come out when the light is at its best.

I have a small number of photos that I have taken during the past few weeks. I would like to post them to get a critique from the community. For the most part I plan to post shots from the previous week.

Currently my post processing software is Lightroom 3. I have ordered Photoshop Elements 10 and expect a steep learning curve to get up to speed.

To be honest, I am somewhat intimidated by the quality of photos I view on the website. And I am old, but not old enough to pass by the opportunity to try to become a competent photographer. Thanks in advance for all the help I know I will receive.

Nevermore

This photo was taken in a snowstorm. Nikon D90 1/200 sec. at f/13, ISO 200 116mm (80-400mm f4.5-5.6 lend)
    Last edited by Teton Chuck; 17th February 2012 at 10:47 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Project 52 by Chuck Schneebeck

That's a good start Chuck, you can almost see the personality in the face.

I really can't think of anything to suggest to improve it, although the black point is quite high (10), I think for the scene and subject, it just works.

Welcome to Project 52.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 18th February 2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: correctypo

Real Name
    Chuck

This seemed like a good way to start. The black on white was quite a challenge for me.

chuck

Real Name
    Kevin

Nice image, Chuck

LR3 and PSE 10 are a very nice combination. Take advantage of some truly excellent video tutorials to jump start your learning curve- I can personally attest to Photoshop Elements Techniques online, and their subscription is very reasonable and includes tutorials both for LR3 and PSE (Google Matt Kloskowski)

My daughter went to school in Montana (5 year program ) and traveled extensively, and her favorite area of all is the Jackson Hole region- she has some breathtaking photos. You'll have the topography to compete with the Scots and the Kiwis who seem to have so many natural photographic advantages!

Greetings,

Kevin

Real Name
    Chuck

Hi Kevin, Thank you for the feedback on LR3 and PSE 10. I will check into the tutorials.

Does your daughter still find time to come to Jackson Hole? It is a great place for young people who love to be active in the outdoors.

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi Chuck, welcome to Project 52,
    good contrast between the black and white, I like the small pieces of bush in the foreground, good focus around the eyes and beak area. looks quite folorn.

Real Name
    Mal

A belated welcome to Project 52 Chuck. Been a bit busy so haven't gotten on here for the last few days.

Great first photo to start your project with. His expression just says to me "It's bloody cold!". Looking forward to seeing more fo your work.

Real Name
    Chuck

Thank you Wendy and Mal. This is such a treat for me to be able to converse with others who share a common interest. And I love the international component of the community.

I have another photo of the raven that you might enjoy, but I am not sure if or where I should post it. I do want to honor the rules, so perhaps I will figure this one out eventually.

Cheers, chuck

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Chuck View Post
    I do want to honor the rules, so perhaps I will figure this one out eventually.
    Hi Chuck,

Ideally, the week number (7 in your case) in the post title so when we look back we can keep easier track of which reply relates to which week's image.

I have another photo of the raven that you might enjoy, but I am not sure if or where I should post it.
    Best to pop it in here, also as week 7, especially if you can find something else for week 8.

I can tidy up post titles if you like.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Chuck

Dave, sorry to be so dense, but I just started. Wouldn't this be week 1? Then if I post a new photo tomorrow I would put week 2? I will learn all this eventually.

Thanks for your patience.

Chuck

Real Name
    Steve

Dave, sorry to be so dense, but I just started. Wouldn't this be week 1? Then if I post a new photo tomorrow I would put week 2? I will learn all this eventually.

Thanks for your patience.

Chuck
    Chuck, i think he is just trying to keep you even with everyone else. All the others are on week 7 so he was assuming you would just jump in at week 7 and stay with the group.

Real Name
    Chuck

Steve, thank you for helping me understand. I will continue to try to get it right.

Sure is difficult to be old.

Chuck

Real Name
    Chuck

Re: Project 52 by Chuck Schneebeck Week 7

For my second post I have chosen two different landscape photos. In the coming weeks I plan to take additional photos from the same locations to see how the images change with weather, the seasons and the ever changing light. Both of these images were taken before I joined Project 52, but I hope they will serve as a baseline for future work.

The first photo is the Cathedral Group in Grand Teton National Park. The highest peak is 7,000 feet higher than the place where I was standing. I wanted an image that would cause the viewer to feel the rugged beauty of the peaks, perhaps mixed with a bit of fear. I chose to photograph on a day when there were lots of clouds moving around the peaks. It took a long time to get the cloud and light mix I wanted.

Years ago I was flying around Denali through scattered clouds. The bush pilot made a comment that he liked the mountain with some clouds, that it was like a woman wearing lingerie. He said that sometimes it is more stimulating when everything is not visible. I hoped this photo would make one wonder what wasn’t visible, and would stimulate gestalt to fill in the blanks.

The second photo, Morning Mist, was taken on a morning when the temperature was -17F (-27C). I hoped that the combination of the fog rising from the river along with the white and blue would help the viewer get a sense of the cold. I was also attempting to use the trees on both sides of the river to pull the eye to the mountains in the background.

I am looking forward to working with this scene in June when the deciduous trees get leaves and the summer clouds begin to form.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

The Cathedral Group
    Nikon D90 1/400 sec at f/6.3, ISO 100 75mm (75-300mm f/4.5-5.6)

Morning Mist
    Nikon D90 1/40 sec at f/14, ISO 100 45mm (35-80mm f/4.0-5.6)
    Last edited by Teton Chuck; 20th February 2012 at 01:48 AM.

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Very nice picture and I agree you can see some personality...color looks great!

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Really love the second picture of the "morning mist"...composed well!

Real Name
    Mal

Wonderful scenes Chuck. I only have one comment which is about a slight hotspot in your first capture on the second peak on the left - but this could be a talking point as well.

Make sure you view these photos in Light box everyone

Real Name
    Bob R

I really like both of these, I was there last August, a bit different weather. When I viewed in light box, I noted a small tree limb in the lower left. At least that is where my eye went, perhaps that could be cloned out.
    Again, great pictures, my favorite is the second.

Real Name
    Chuck

Mavourneen, thanks for the comments. One never knows what feelings others may have when viewing an image. I have climbed all of the mountains in the photos and I think that influences my feelings when I look at them. By the way, I taught college classes for many years and have never had a student with your first name. I wish I could hear you pronounce it. It sounds very nice when I try.

Cheers, chuck

Real Name
    Chuck

Mal and Bob, Thank you for the feedback. I hadn't noticed the hotspot at the top of the spire, but it is there. It will be a good exercise for me to try to fix that. The tree limb in the lower left corner is annoying. Its things like that which make me take more time and look more carefully as I frame future photos. Right now I am working with Lightroom 3 only, but hope to get into Photoshop Elements 10 very soon. I'll try to clone that out when I get the new software.

Real Name
    Mal

Mal and Bob, Thank you for the feedback. I hadn't noticed the hotspot at the top of the spire, but it is there. It will be a good exercise for me to try to fix that. The tree limb in the lower left corner is annoying. Its things like that which make me take more time and look more carefully as I frame future photos. Right now I am working with Lightroom 3 only, but hope to get into Photoshop Elements 10 very soon. I'll try to clone that out when I get the new software.
    You know that Lightroom has a cloning tool, right?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast