Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Small Stream and Trees

Real Name
    Russell

Small Stream and Trees

Tried to do everything in manual mode on the camera.
    Boosted colour slightly with LAB in P/S.
    Small Stream and Trees

Thanks for looking
    Russ

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Small Stream and Trees

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Well done, Russell. As someone who operates 99.99% of the time in full manual mode, I think it's great if you can master it. There's no problem in using the semi-auto modes, but having the mastery of full manual does, I think, help.

As to this image. I like the scene, but I find it just a bit too busy. There's an awful lot competing for attention. I haven't tried it, but I wondered what something like a 4:5 portrait crop that put the stream running away into the background right at the heart of the image, would look like. It's just that I'm not sure that all the bits at both sides really contributes to the strength of the image.

Hope these thoughts help.

Russell,
    I love a picture that tells a time story. You have included in this photograph pools of water contrasted with moving water, older trees with young sprouts, large rocks and pebbles, and also lots of colors. The telling of time with three of natures mediums.
    Tim

The color and tonal values in the image are done well. Good job. The composition is too busy as Donald mentioned. It would help if you could clone out all the little sticks and twigs, and either try to clone out the little tree on the right, or crop it out. Besides the busy composition I really like the picture.

Real Name
    Pierre

One of the tough issues with photos of this type of natural location is the clutter Mother Nature sometimes adds. At the least, is the small tree in the right foreground, it is distracting. Otherwise I love these types of images.

Real Name
    Allan Short

I feel that it is a little overexposed, it needs to be toned down a bit. I would also try to darken down the corners as that would focus more on the centre of the image. As is, my eyes want to wander all over the image right off the page, make my eyes, want to follow the stream up to the top of the image where there is a nice little falls tucked away for a nice suprise. Make the light make my eyes go to where you want. As is all I see is the busy foregroung, not interest there.

Allan

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Boosted colour slightly with LAB in P/S.
    Small Stream and Trees

Thanks for looking
    Russ
    I love the colors in this photo, and stream has a very soft look to it, very soothing. I know there has been a lot of comments about how busy the photo is but I honestly like it the way it is -- with that said I am very much an amatuer at photography. Nice Job

Kathy

Real Name
    Jon

Kathy, from one amatuer yo another, I like this shot as well. I like the tones and the soothing nature of the stream. I do find the small tree in the right front a bit distracting but everybody has their own opinion and tastes. Unless you are trying to appeal a certain group, shoot what you enjoy...and enjoy it. Nice job.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

My advice is for the shot itself. If you had lowered your point of view, you might have avoided the sapling on the right and could have brought one or more of those rocks into closer view for some foreground detail. Also, holding the camera portrait style might have emphasized the flow of the water.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, One note for all.
    Many thanks for looking and the input.
    I do read everything that you all say and try to put it into my next foray, a little difficult for me as where I live there does not seem to be the interest in photography and also I do not speak very good Greek, but thats my fault.
    Again Thank you for the input.
    Russ