Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Roma St Gardens

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Roma St Gardens

I took this shot yesterday in the Roma St gardens in Brisbane. It was a bright sunny day and I needed to use a Polarising filter. C&C welcome.

Dave

Roma St Gardens

Edit note : Original image repaced with slightly modified image.
    Last edited by dje; 15th February 2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Replaced image

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Roma St Gardens

That's a very nice composition.

It's one of those that when it's compressed in the post above it looks, to me, over-sharpened. But when viewed larger in the light box it looks okay, though I think it's right on the edge of the sharpening limit even at the larger size.

There is one flare spot. Come down the right hand edge of that large tree in the upper left corner. Just where the angle of the foliage changes from vertical to sloping right.

It's a busy picture, but, to my eyes, it's not cluttered. It's well ordered and the key elements in terms of the construction of the image are clear and well-defined.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That's a very nice composition.

It's one of those that when it's compressed in the post above it looks, to me, over-sharpened. But when viewed larger in the light box it looks okay, though I think it's right on the edge of the sharpening limit even at the larger size.

There is one flare spot. Come down the right hand edge of that large tree in the upper left corner. Just where the angle of the foliage changes from vertical to sloping right.

It's a busy picture, but, to my eyes, it's not cluttered. It's well ordered and the key elements in terms of the construction of the image are clear and well-defined.
    Thanks for your helpful comments Donald.

I hadn't noticed the flare spot but you are correct of course. I have to admit that I'm a bit slack when it comes to using the lens hood - maybe that would have avoided the problem.

I admit I like sharp images and I guess there's always the danger of overdoing it. It's a bit like having strong coffee and then over a period of time gradually going for stronger and stronger stuff ! I tend to push the sharpening a bit for shots like this to bring out the detail in the foliage but it's good to have another pair of eyes to take a fresh and detached view.

Thanks again
    Dave

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Dave, besides the flare Donald had mentioned the only thing I would do personally would be to crop the top and right just enough to remove the three bright spots of open sky along the top edge of the image. They are a bit distracting IMO. I only mention the crop of the right to keep the aspect ratio of the image and possible work out the flare too, effectively killing two birds with one stone.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Douglas View Post
    Dave, besides the flare Donald had mentioned the only thing I would do personally would be to crop the top and right just enough to remove the three bright spots of open sky along the top edge of the image. They are a bit distracting IMO. I only mention the crop of the right to keep the aspect ratio of the image and possible work out the flare too, effectively killing two birds with one stone.
    Thanks for the suggestion Rob. I've re-cropped the image to remove that little bit of sky and also used the Spot Healing brush to reduce the effect of the flare that Donald mentioned (towards the upper left). The re-done image has replaced the original although it might take a few minutes before it takes effect.

Dave