Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Inside the old enterence to the ROM

Real Name
    Allan Short

Inside the old enterence to the ROM

Took an image inside the old enterence of the ROM of one of the staircases, the lighting was poor, and no tripods allowed so it was hand held. I did not know how it would turn out, so I looked at it as homework to try to improve my post processing skills in CS5. I do believe that it turned out rather well. Your thoughts are always welcome.

Allan

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Inside the old enterence to the ROM

Allan,
    Certainly agree it turned out well. Surprisingly sharp for handheld (especially well seen in lightbox). Contrast adjustments spot-on. You might get away with a little perspective adjustment (top toward the left), and with some patience, tone down the glare from the hidden light behind the column. Nice image

Kevin

Real Name
    Mal

Looks like you did a great job capturing this shot - especially hand held. My only.comment.would be the light on the back wall being a little bit of a distraction but given your circumstances, I don't think you could have captured it any differently. Nicely done!

Real Name
    Bobo

Great handheld job and pp.

For busy periods I can understand no tripod rules but in an almost dead place that is being bloody minded.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Worked some on the light behind the pillar, what I did was copy layer and then darkened it, selected the blowen areas, to a new layer,overlayed then darken, same for the stone pillar, on right hand side of image but did not darken as much before selection and then just overlayed onto new layer. The blowen out area does not print as blowen out as seen on screen. There is probably an easier way, just have not gotten there yet.

Allan

Real Name
    Chris

Too much yellow from the tungsten lights. Almost impossible to overcome and as a color image, it seemed to suffer.

I tried it as a B&W and think it really helps to catch the lovely mosaic qualities in the marble columns and floor.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Very nicely done Chris, I was also thinking along the same lines of taking it into B&W, I really like the wall where that light was the brightest you have done an excellent job of the lighting, again well done. I am stubborn at times, wanting to see if I could get that area to a point that I could live with, I think that I have, it some work for someone of my skill sets ( hope someday to get somewhere near to 50% of your skills Chris). I may still try a B&W version in a week or so now that I have a standard to aim for, that wall will be a real learning lesson, but it will only make me better. Hope you like this last version of this image, give me any feedback that you have.

Allan