Thread: Cley Hill... it was cold up there today..!

Real Name
    Ian

Cley Hill... it was cold up there today..!

I think I like these, but I'm not sure..? Posting for C & C

(the images are 1280 wide expanded)

Gallery on SmugMug: http://iancds.smugmug.com/Landscapes...1316503_c4NjV3

Ian
    Last edited by IanCD; 4th February 2012 at 01:34 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Cley Hill... it was cold up there today..!

Ian

I think when we go B & W it's really about the lines, shapes, tones and texture.

For me, we get that in the 2nd and 3rd images. But the 1st and 4th don't, I think, have that combination strongly enough to hold our attention. The first one, for example, has one, sort-of line coming down the hill. But otherwise is much of a sameness right across the image.

The 2nd and 3rd and the other hand have very strong lines that take us across the image one way, then another line to take our attention back the other way - so we're sweeping our gaze across the landscape on the basis of us having something to hold our attention.

Does that make any sense?
    Last edited by Donald; 4th February 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Real Name
    Ian

Hi Donald,
    Yes, that does make sense... very helpful, thanks
    I'm fairly sure there's a shot up the hill there somewhere... but I didn't find it yesterday...!

I don't recall why I didn't frame the 3rd image to complete the curve of the hedge at top left, and to include more of the fence running across the top to the right... that looks like a composition error to me now..!

Looking at the hill and the trees in the fourth image, it was both the light on the hill and the detail in the trees that held my attention... now the trees seem more interesting. I'm wondering if a shot of just the trees might work... not a crop of this, but a longer (wider) format...

Thanks again... I'm really enjoying and getting a lot out of this forum..! Very glad I joined
    Ian

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Good morning Ian,
    I'm with Donald and for the same reasons, 2 and 3 are the best 2 having the edge. The graphic abstract lines make the image.
    The first one, perhaps (if possible) move off to the right to make the path cut across the frame little more. Slightly less ground and more sky would also move the dip in the hills closer to the thirds position.
    Although I do know that some locations have been photo'd so often, I want to break the rules. it makes a good image for me, but not so much for others (been critiqued for that myself).
    Fourth one has some potentially interesting textures. Love to have access to a hill like that with the sheep tracks circling it, makes it look like some form of scales.
    Graham