Thread: anyone....

Real Name
    Paul

anyone....

...just wondering why i never hear anyone speak of Corel stuff.I've played with their stuff since PSP6,now have X3.It does HDR merge,but it never seems to mentioned.I'm also using Photomatix (free trial).All i see is CS3,CS5(what happened to CS4?),a few others,but nothing on Corel.I'm not a student,so CS5 just isn't possible for me,but as far as HDR,is there really a difference in a merging/tone mapping program?If I'm missing something (no surprise to me),please,enlighten me.I'm not trying to promote anything,just looking for a compelling reason to purchase any more software.
    thanks

Real Name
    Russell

Re: anyone....

Hi, I think you will find a greater percentage of people use Adobe products (get it the neck for that statement), if not Photoshop CS?? Then PSE. As for HDR, the way I see it is that software like PS or PSE is made to do many things in the manipulation of a photogragh where as software for HDR is just that and nothing else (dedicated to HDR) so I would assume more effort in producing a quaility product goes into it.
    I use PS CS4 but only because I got a deal on a second user licence I also have L/R 3 and for HDR I use FDRTools and SNS HDR.
    sure someone here will use Corel so will leave comments on that to those who no.
    Russ

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Hi Paul,

I've used Corel stuff a few years ago and I found it ok back then for what I needed regarding my move into digital (from film, obv). As I've progressed I became a PS user and never looked back. ACR alone is worth the money.

Real Name
    Tom

I use PSP X2 and am perfectly content with it, given how I work. I use Capture NX2 for working with the raw data and then export the image to PSP for additional work. I use Neat Image, Focus Magic, and Topaz Detail as plugins from the PSP environment, and will do whatever layers work is necessary with PSP itself. So I don't actually avail myself of very much in PSP except as a host for the plugins, but it is fine for what I do.

Real Name
    Paul

...thnx,all....still hoping to hear from anyone thats has X3 or X4.Again,just looking for a solid reason to pursue any other "MERGING" software.........

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

~ software like PS or PSE is made to do many things in the manipulation of a photogragh, where as software for HDR is just that and nothing else (dedicated to HDR) so I would assume more effort in producing a quaility product goes into it.
    You'd think so wouldn't you? Unfortunately, as seen from results often posted on the interweb (I have no personal experience), people tend to use just the HDR program and publish an image which really should have had lots more work done to it after tone mapping, even stuff as simple as setting the black and white points, leveling horizons, cropping and sharpening.

In other words, you are going to need one of those other programs too.

Real Name
    Glenn Runyan

I have been using Corel products since I got a free copy of 6 with a new printer just after the end of the Stone Age (did I tell you I am REAL old). Photoshop is way too complicated for a part time amateur like me. I think you should upgrade your X2-X3 and X4 are really more stable. X4 has a neat new feature call "fill light" that solves the problem of dark nearby in landscapes. The HDR is more complicated in X4 than X3 but it produces great results. It has been on sale lately (offered as low as $29.99). Be sure to get Ultimate.

Glenn

Real Name
    Mal

I did look at Corel when I was investigating PP Programs but i couldn't find a version for macs which ruled it out for me.

Real Name
    Paul

"In other words, you are going to need one of those other programs too."
    ...again,ithank you all.I guess my conclusion is that,as long as i have "merging program"the PP is more of a taste/familiarity/budget/mac vs pc issue.If thats not correct,please advise....trust me,i have my hands full learning the capabilities of the tools i have on hand,right now.....

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by ratssass View Post
    ...just wondering why i never hear anyone speak of Corel stuff. I've played with their stuff since PSP6, now have X3. It does HDR merge, but it never seems to be mentioned.
    Probably because Adobe products dominate the market, Paul, just as CaNikon dominate the DSLR market, so the majority here probably use PhotoShop (etc.), just as most camera and lens chat refers to Canon and Nikon. But this doesn't mean that other stuff is no good.

Quote Originally Posted by ratssass View Post
    ...thnx,all....still hoping to hear from anyone thats has X3 or X4.
    Just remember that not everyone logs on everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    ...people tend to use just the HDR program and publish an image which really should have had lots more work done to it after tone mapping, even stuff as simple as setting the black and white points, leveling horizons, cropping and sharpening. In other words, you are going to need one of those other programs too.
    Although I am a mere novice, I have been using X3 for several months and, as you will know Paul, it contains an HDR/tonemapping module AND all the functions Dave mentions plus many more as found in PS/Elements, etc. A few weeks ago I upgraded to X4, which has a much more capable and adjustable HDR module as well as enhancements to its other features (so more to learn and experiment with!). If you are happy to stay with Corel you will find its interfaces quite familiar.

In my opinion X3 and X4 are excellent in use and great value, especially if you can get the latter at the sale price. However, being a home amateur and novice, I don't qualify for the discounted big name software so I have had nothing to compare them with.

Still, hope this is a little helpful.

Philip

Real Name
    Philip

A quick edit. Original image from camera -

anyone....

Five minutes through Corel X4 (including use of the HDR module) to approach what the eyes might see -

anyone....

Philip

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Very nicely done Philip

Hi
    I use Corel Pro X 3. This version offers HDR. Mostly I do not do post work other than hit the One click fixes all button. My son who uses Phase one and light room will work with Corel on my computer when I need something done special.
    Tim