Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Eroded Lens Coatings... Experience?

Eroded Lens Coatings... Experience?

I am debating whether to purchase protective UV filters for my lenses. My motivation for this would be protection from cleaning eroding lens coatings, not from physical damage.

Do any of the seasoned veterans on these forums have experience with eroded lens coatings resulting from cleaning the front element?

As a related question, I recently purchase a lens pen. For quick cleans, would a blower be recommended over the soft brush of the lens pen?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Eroded Lens Coatings... Experience?

Quote Originally Posted by alextor View Post
    Do any of the seasoned veterans on these forums have experience with eroded lens coatings resulting from cleaning the front element?
    I've never once had a problem with eroded lens coatings - probably because I always use a UV filter for protection (and that's the way it's going to stay!) (I always wear a seatbelt even though I'm not planning on having an accident too!)

Yah there should be no debate when it comes to using a filter, even a clear one too protect your lens...yah some are kinda costly but it cheaper than replacing a lens...

Ive never used a lenspen..the idea just seems risky...u carry a small spray bottle and a micorfiber coth and a small brush with me.....

I do not know about erosion but tree sap and salt laden air alone are enough to make me always front with a skylight filter. I ruined a Zuiko lens for my old OM2 when I tried to 'scub' sticky tree sap away.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I do not know about erosion but tree sap and salt laden air alone are enough to make me always front with a skylight filter. I ruined a Zuiko lens for my old OM2 when I tried to 'scub' sticky tree sap away.
    I'm curious - how did you manage to get tree sap on it?

Ah...camping under trees in my mispent youth. It was the time of year when some trees secrete what I call sap. It rains down gently and is quite resinous when dry. If you park your car under certain types of trees in the UK you will notice tiny sticky blobs on your paintwork. Some 0000 guage wire wool removes it OK but my car looked a little dull afterward....only joking