Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Immediate help needed

Immediate help needed

Hello everyone!

I just joined this forum because I am really confused and I don't know anyone who can help me This forum seemed like a good place to seek for help.
    I always did photography as a hobby but recently I was offered to do some photos for a magazine.
    I have got a DSLR, I have got an IPS monitor, everything I need!
    The only problem is that they will be using the images online on a website and for print. Now when I edit these pictures on my IPS monitor. They look fantastic but on my laptop, they look washed away and lose color. I dont really care about how they look on my laptop but what I am thinking is that, is it best to edit them on an IPS monitor because mostly people dont have an IPS monitor? What can I do to make sure that they look pretty much the same online and on everyone's monitor??
    Also, when they get printed, are they going to look more like how they appear on the monitor or more like they appear on the laptop? :S :S

I am really confused and I DESPERATELY NEED some help!
    I really look forward to getting some help from this forum!

P.S: I am an amateur photographer so I would appreciate help in simpler terms!

Real Name
    Mal

Re: Immediate help needed

Do you know if your monitors are calibrated? It sounds like the screens you're using are on different settings.

From memory i think there's a tutorial on CiC somewhere about screen calibration and printing. Read some of the information here.

Thanks a lot for your reply!
    No I dont think they are calibrated but will calibrating my monitor help me produce images that will look almost the same on any monitor? and will it help me post process them in a way that they will look the same when printed?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Are you viewing them in the same program? If you have the images in Adobe RGB of Prophoto RGB on your PC - but are viewing them in a colour-managed program like Photoshop - and then view them on a non-colour-managed program on your laptop - then they will look washed out.

It seems You are working in PRORGB, but other programs don't recognize such color space. One solution is to save images in sRGB(for web i.e.). Some research in PS forums may help You. Color management in PS i.e.

Real Name
    Bobo

I had a similar problem when all I had was a laptop to edit the pics until a kind soul here posted the first pic. The problem was caused by the tilt of the laptop LCD. It was fixed after making sure that both the while and black parts of the pic were visible on the laptop.

The circle one is a bit more difficult to get right - you will need to be able to see all numbers from 1 to 9.

See if that works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi there Mr/Ms "amateurphotographer",

Firstly, please do share with us at least a first name?

Don't touch your IPS monitor (yet)

You need to determine which is 'right', I'd suspect the laptop isn't, because it'll vary depending what vertical and horizontal angle you are viewing it from. Please don't make your pictures worse for the 'lowest common denominator' display. Can you post an example that looks good on your IPS here? Any will do, doesn't have to be from the magazine series.

HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

You do need to check out applications and colour spaces.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ....

Real Name
    Steve

I don't know if this page will help:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi there Mr/Ms "amateurphotographer",

Firstly, please do share with us at least a first name?

Don't touch your IPS monitor (yet)

You need to determine which is 'right', I'd suspect the laptop isn't, because it'll vary depending what vertical and horizontal angle you are viewing it from. Please don't make your pictures worse for the 'lowest common denominator' display. Can you post an example that looks good on your IPS here? Any will do, doesn't have to be from the magazine series.

HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

You do need to check out applications and colour spaces.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ....
    First of all, thank you everyone for the replies and help.
    I am still quite confused because I don't know anything about these things! I am really an amateur!

My name is Fatima

Here are some more details for you to help me with my problem
    The monitor I just bought is LG IPS235v
    Dave I don't have an image to post right now because I am working for a company and I can't share the images because they haven't been published yet. But today when I go home I will edit some other picture and then post it here.
    I am using sRGB mode on my monitor.
    The major difference both the display's have is the temperature difference I think. When I adjust my images to not look very yellowish on my monitor, they start appearing very blueish on my laptop. Also mild saturation disappears on the laptop screen.
    Now these images are going to be used for web and print. What do you suggest? How should I edit them and which monitor should I use so that the images look good on the web and for the print?
    p.s: I won't be printing it, a third party will be doing that job for us.