Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: stickman

Real Name
    Ken Outch

stickman

Alright, so that was a sexist title. It might just well be a Stick woman! How does one actually tell the sex of a stick insect? Buggered if I know. Care even less. But I refuse to go the whole PC hog and refer to it as a stick person insect! Geez!

Anyway this stick insect was found mooching around our garage. So, as we don't see too many of these he 'got his picture took!'

For those who have a morbid interest in these matters, it was around 80mm long and on average about 5mm wide. I know this because I ran a ruler over it just in case someone had a need to know.

Thanks for viewing and any posted comments will be most pleasantly received, even if they are less than flattering!
    Cheers
    old ucci

stickman

stickman

stickman

Real Name
    Myra

Re: stickman

What an intelligent/inquisitive looking fellow/gal! It must be a professor in the bug world We don't have any stick insects in these parts that I know of. Thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Bob

It is a praying mantis. Ohio has a lot of them.
    Bob

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Down here we call them preying mantis... aka Politicians.... and we seem to have far more than we need....or can afford......
    k

Real Name
    Remco

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Down here we call them preying mantis... aka Politicians.... and we seem to have far more than we need....or can afford......
    k
    I've always heard the ones in the picture referred to as praying mantis, and they are quite common around here as well. The other type also, unfortunately.

Real Name
    John

It's great how he looks like he looking at you and posing for every shot. Do you mind telling us what lens and setting you used?

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice shots.

Not an expert but the brown ones would be males and the green females.

Mantodea (or Manteses) is used to identify this order of insect. Praying Manteses is the colloquial term. Praying Mantis is commonly used to refer to the European variant. Preying Mantis is a colloquial term used to denote either the insect here or dirtbags who prey on good (and bad) people.