Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: DxO - Another reason for those of you who don't use it to have a go at us!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

DxO - Another reason for those of you who don't use it to have a go at us!

This is primarily aimed at DxO users.

Most of the world seems to be unable to use the new v7.2.0. It is just hanging and won't open up. I've got my problem logged with DxO support.

Have any of you downloaded 7.2.0 and go it to run?

Real Name
    Steve

Re: DxO - Another reason for those of you who don't use it to have a go at us!

I've never upgraded yet donald. My regular version has been acting a little strange lately as well. Come to think of it , after it updated a few months ago. It will step out on me every once in a while and the screen will go all white as if its loading information, and then it comes back. I haven't had any problems untill a couple months ago. Not shure what is causing it.

I was just downloading DxO 7.2 as I read your post. If you had previously tried v 6.6, I can tell you that 7.2 is much more stable. I use a PC with a i7 quad-core processor running Windows 7 and DxO 7.2 runs very well. I know how well it works since I have been doing beta testing and they just released the final version. Version 6.6 would crash frequently but I stuck with it because of the great job it did with my RAW files. Camera/lens specific capture sharpening, CA correction, and other corrections work really well. Lightroom does not compare (I just use Lightroom as my photo manager). DxO supports both my camera (Sony A350) and my wife's (Sony A550) and 7 of the 9 lenses between the two of us. Lightroom did not support either camera and none of the lenses. If your lenses are not supported now, DxO plans to add 5,000 more camera/lens combinations this year.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    I was just downloading DxO 7.2 as I read your post. If you had previously tried v 6.6, I can tell you that 7.2 is much more stable. I use a PC with a i7 quad-core processor running Windows 7 and DxO 7.2 runs very well. I know how well it works since I have been doing beta testing and they just released the final version. Version 6.6 would crash frequently but I stuck with it because of the great job it did with my RAW files. Camera/lens specific capture sharpening, CA correction, and other corrections work really well. Lightroom does not compare (I just use Lightroom as my photo manager). DxO supports both my camera (Sony A350) and my wife's (Sony A550) and 7 of the 9 lenses between the two of us. Lightroom did not support either camera and none of the lenses. If your lenses are not supported now, DxO plans to add 5,000 more camera/lens combinations this year.
    John

Thanks for all of that. I've been using DxO for quite a long time now and consider myself an experienced user.

Interestingly, I never experienced any problems with 6.6. I'm very glad you've got 7.2 running okay.

7.0 was also running fine on my machine. I'm not concerned with modules. 6.6. and 7 supported all my camera/lens combinations. The point I am making is about 7.2 hanging when you try to open it. It is just not getting there. And, if you are a reader of the DxO Forums, you'll have seen that it's an issue affecting many users.

My 7.2 is working fine (so far)

I had a problem with 7.0 hanging on startup but DxO support sorted it out very quickly (network issue bug).

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The point I am making is about 7.2 hanging when you try to open it. It is just not getting there. And, if you are a reader of the DxO Forums, you'll have seen that it's an issue affecting many users.
    When I first started using DxO (which was probably version 5.something using a PC with a dual-core processor running Windows Vista), I couldnt even get the program to start. It turns out that I had to turn off Data Execution Protection for the program to get it to work. With Windows 7, the default is for DEP to be turned on only for system components, so I dont know if that is still a problem or not. Did it install okay? It should install over the old version with no problems. Maybe the program file was corrupted somehow during the download. I'm sure you tried different things.

I know nothing about DXO at all - what are the advantages of it over other PP software (Lightroom for example).

Glenn

Real Name
    Neil

Both ver 7 & now 7.2 have run fine on my PC (an overclocked i5 with 8 meg ram admittedly) but I will say ver 7 is much faster doing the conversions than ver 6 was.

Glenn NK |IMHO DxO is the best raw converter around, best colours, least noise & best lens/camera corrections. Its not an all in one like Lightroom, which uses ARC, however you still need some kind of post processing software.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    Did it install okay? It should install over the old version with no problems. Maybe the program file was corrupted somehow during the download. I'm sure you tried different things.
    Yes, it installed with no problems and did, indeed, overwrite v7.0, to which I cannot now rewind back to.

Until I get this sorted out (hopefully), I'm going to have to go back to 6.6, which i still have available.