Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Bored Again...

Real Name
    Mal

Got Bored Again...

I had a reason for creating this particular photo - which was a lot more difficult than I had anticipated due to the position of the piano next to a window. That and my PP vision not being clear so I got stuck. It's not quite what I wanted but thought I'd post it up for C&C anyway.

If you have an interpretation of what you get from this photo (if anything), I'd love to hear it.

Got Bored Again...

Real Name
    Kerry

Re: Got Bored Again...

No time to play huh? Must be all that photography getting in the way
    Did you try looking at the pic in sepia tones or B&W? I like your DoF and the lighting, its just the light shining on the watch face is a little distracting. Nice one though, it does tell a story

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

i like the image, but like others said bright reflection is distracting.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Interesting composition, lot going for it.
    And your other compositions were ......?

As for this one, reflection issue. Second image exposed for the face alone and some post processing?

Graham
    the king of the fuzzy concept

Real Name
    Mal

I need to find a way of blocking the light seeping in from the window while still retaining the natural light in the room (my preference). The reflection I think is a bit too over exposed to get rid of so I might try again tonight as I'm not experienced in layering - something for the future.

The black and white version looked okay, but because the piano is so smooth I didn't feel there was enough texture to make it interesting.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Try a white sheet over the window Malcolm. It will let the light in but diffuse it so you get no reflections.

Real Name
    Natalie

Try changing the angle of the watch ....maybe even have to move the piano a bit to not get that particular reflection if you want the watch to remain in the same position.
    As Kerry said, "No time to play." Good one!

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Douglas View Post
    Try a white sheet over the window Malcolm. It will let the light in but diffuse it so you get no reflections.
    Good idea - thanks I'll give it a go tonight after work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Try changing the angle of the watch ....maybe even have to move the piano a bit to not get that particular reflection if you want the watch to remain in the same position.
    As Kerry said, "No time to play." Good one!
    I did try from a couple of different angles but the one above gives the best perspective I think. I spent about 5 minutes on it after I got home from work yesterday with a lampshade for additional fill light before I got called away for a family Uno game - which was won by the 6 year old, and then by Kerry!

Real Name
    Myra

Are you going for quarter notes? Three beats to the bar? Keeping time?

<BG>

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Are you going for quarter notes? Three beats to the bar? Keeping time?

<BG>
    My timing was out yesterday Got home too late and lost too much natural light in the room. The room lights and lampshade weren't enough so I'll attempt a retake over the weekend.

On the plus side, Kerry pointed out to me last night that I do actually own portable diffusers and reflectors

Real Name
    Mal

Finally got around to redoing this - which was a whole lot harder than I remember to create! Decided to use a tripod this time and go for a longer exposure. I used a lampshade this time with a diffuser in front of it to get rid of the hotspot that was on the watch face. Still not sure if I'm happy with it but here it is again for your viewing pleasure.

Got Bored Again...

Real Name
    Bobo

The 2nd version is tons better imho. The glint from the hinges to the top is just right and the lighting is nicely done.

Just 2 minor points - there is a bit of distracting reflection from the keys on the far right and there is a portion of something in the right corner which serves no purpose.

2nd there is a darkish line that runs down the left face of the watch. Maybe shadows or something. Removing that may help.

Real Name
    Trace

Yes, liking the 2nd one in terms of depth of field and the warmer tones though the reflection in the watch face is still a little distracting. Interesting that your watch isn't working.... can you still hear the music when time stands still? ;-)

Real Name
    Mal

That watch face is a pain Get rid of the light reflections and I'm left with the piano keys. I think I might have a CPD filter floating around that might fit from an old lens so I might try that and see if it kills the reflection.

I like to think that when you hear the music, sometimes it's like time stands still. As for the watch - the damn thing costs too much to get serviced. I can get a really nice new one for the same amount of money!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

To add to what has already been mentioned, I also like the greater DoF which helps draw more of the keyboard into the image.

Real Name
    Kathy

The second one gets my vote!!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcoastgolfer View Post
    That watch face is a pain Get rid of the light reflections and I'm left with the piano keys. I think I might have a CPD filter floating around that might fit from an old lens so I might try that and see if it kills the reflection.
    Hi Malcolm,

I think the angle is a bit too acute for the CPL to have much effect - if have a folding circular diffuser thingy, can you get Kerry, or one of the kids, to hold it up in just the right place to replace the reflection with one that is feature-less?

#2 is better (much), but #3 might be perfect

Cheers,

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Malcolm,

I think the angle is a bit too acute for the CPL to have much effect - if have a folding circular diffuser thingy, can you get Kerry, or one of the kids, to hold it up in just the right place to replace the reflection with one that is feature-less?

#2 is better (much), but #3 might be perfect

Cheers,
    The diffuser was already in use - I've only got one - Jazz was holding it up

I'm pretty sure the reflection on the watch face is the piano keys. I'm going to try shifting the angle of the watch face and see how well that works.

So much for being bored!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcoastgolfer View Post
    I'm pretty sure the reflection on the watch face is the piano keys. I'm going to try shifting the angle of the watch face and see how well that works.

So much for being bored!
    That's odd, looking at the angle of the watch face, you look to be almost square on to it, so I'd have said it must be something just above and to left of camera position.

Audience: "It's behind you"

Tog: "Oh, no it isn't"

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    That's odd, looking at the angle of the watch face, you look to be almost square on to it, so I'd have said it must be something just above and to left of camera position.

Audience: "It's behind you"

Tog: "Oh, no it isn't"

The camera is about three inches up and to the right (only way I could use the tripod) so perhaps it's the keys and the line where the keys go into the piano cabinet.

For something that should have been so simple this is a really tough exercise! Take #3 to follow tomorrow!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast