Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Speed light batteries

Real Name
    Kay

Speed light batteries

A most boring question - but what type of batteries do people use in their canon speed lights. Rechargeable or buy as you go? And if rechargeable what type, as buying the charger and enough for 2 lights & off cam triggers is a wee investment on its own. Thanks team

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Speed light batteries

Kay - Rechargeable - Ansmann NiMH 2700 mAH (don't know what any of that means, by the way).

Real Name
    Hans

I use eneloops. They last very wll.

Real Name
    Richard

I also use Eneloop batteries. They last a long time and they recharge my speedlights quicker. I am sure of this but, I have not made a head to head comparison with alkaline disposable batteries or with any othe brand rechargeable.

They may cost more at the outset but, after a period of use, they will certainly save money over throwaway batteries.

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Eneloops, they hold their charge really good and takes awhile to drain them.

It really depends on how often you use flash.

Rechargeable are usually cheapest in the long run but you can get some good deals in throwaways if you only flash occasionally.

Like Donald, I've found rechargeable Ansmann to work well; but the answer may vary depending on what is available where you live.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nothing beats eneloops. They hold a charge for months and take heck of a long time to use up.

Real Name
    Bill S

Another vote for Eneloops from me too.

- Bill

Real Name
    Mario

Sanyo Eneloop is a particular brand of low self discharge (LSD) NiMH batteries but it's not the only one. I got Energizer non-LSD NiMH ones in a package with charger for my bridge camera together with 2 AAA ones. It was around 6 times as expensive as 4 sets of non rechargeable alkalines and last at least twice per charge in my case. I don't consider rechargeable batteries for high drain devices to be an inversion but a need. Bear in mind the environmental impact of non rechargeable alkaline batteries and please dispose of them in a specific collection center if you opt to use these anyway.

You may find this link useful: http://www.greenbatteries.com/batteries.html.

Real Name
    Andrew

The eneloops technology were a first in the LSD NiMH line of batteries that did not self discharge rapidly. They advertise 75% to 85% after a year of storage and the originals are rated at 2000 MaH. Duracell batteries of the same LSD strain are actually repackaged eneloops in some cases but you have to know what you are looking for. The ones I have for my speedlights are eneloops but they are the new eneloop XX rated at 2500 MaH. A little harder to find but worth the search for the cycles. I recall seeing an article about not going too high on the power. I can't find it so I'm not sure if there is an issue with the rating itself. It could be just that they will recycle faster. If you fire your flash too many times in succession you will heat it up. Too often and you will break it. I believe the SB910 specifically addresses that problem with a shutoff.
    Last edited by Andrew1; 10th January 2012 at 11:35 PM.

Real Name
    Kay

Thankyou all for the prompt & helpful responses

Just did a bit of checking and, as far as I can see, Ansmann batteries have a higher spec. 2700 milliamp hour against 2000 and there is also an extra rated Ansmann with 2900 rating.

Not sure if this is a UK thing or if the max number of recharges is different between the two types.

Prices appear roughly the same although there is considerable variation between suppliers.

Real Name
    Kay

Cheers Geoff
    I'll look up & see what's available locally from these suggestions.
    Thanks

Real Name
    Brian

I used to use some energizers with ~2500 mAh.
    I bought some Sanyo Eneloops with ~2000 mAh and have totally given up on my energizers. Yes the energizers have more total power, BUT, the Eneloops hold their charge wonderfully, recharge my flashes FASTER than anything I have ever used, and they keep doing that until they are completely dead. This last thing is also a detriment, as there is NO indication that they are about to die One click they work fine, the next they are dead.
    I'm sure there are other similar batteries to the Eneloops, but these are the ones I know and will buy them again next time I need some.