Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: More Scallop Fishing Photos

More Scallop Fishing Photos

Following on from my Project 52 photo. This is the one where I had the lens set to manual focus while I thought I was using auto focus. Canon 7D with 70-200 lens 1/640 F11.

It isn't far out, but not quite as sharp as it should be. If it was a long way off I would have probably noticed sooner.

And this was the other boat hauling, with water still streaming from the dredge; but the background is a bit uninteresting. By now, about 15 mins later, the light had reduced to F5.6.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: More Scallop Fishing Photos

Odd that you use the word "Fishing" in reference to Scalloping. Down here, we just say we're going scalloping and everyone knows you're headed for shallow water, dragging a bucket in a float and kicking those little puppies up with your toes.

Got a feeling that water is a mite too cold for bare toes.

Re: More Scallop Fishing Photos

The water where they catch scallops here is a little deeper, Chris. Somewhere around 20 to 40 ft at low tide and nearly 20 ft on top of at at the max high tide.

Hence the need for boat operated dredges; although it is sometimes possible to find the odd scallop which has been uncovered by a very low tide.

The bigger boats which work in the open sea are in water around 200 ft deep and therefore have much heavier dredges.

This inshore fishery provides a small winter income for the little boats which fish for lobster etc during the summer.