Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PROJECT 52 by Craig (Craig3070)

Real Name
    Craig

PROJECT 52 by Craig (Craig3070)

Hi All.

I am new to CIC and have just got my first DSLR (Nikon D7000). I welcome all feedback on my photos as I am really learning.

Real Name
    Mal

Re: PROJECT 52 by Craig (Craig3070)

The D7000 is my first DSLR and i have to say that I'm more than happy with it.

You've managed to capture some great detail with that bird. However I think I tighter crop is in order to really bring the focus on the bird. my other comments are that there's a twig that crosses in front of the bird and the background behind it is of a similar colour which stops your subject from standing out.

Still a very good capture - especially with the sharpness in the bird itself.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

As Malcolm has said, a closer crop is definitely in order and given the size you posted at (probably a non-downsized 4435 x 2937px) you can afford to do this.

I shoot birds and the problem with them in this kind of woodland setting is that against the trees, they often blend in, but if shot against the sky, that often upsets the exposure (unless you compensate - easy with practice), but that then usually 'blows out' the sky which softens and smears the outline. Therefore I usually don't try against the sky these days, I know it's not gonna give a good picture, although it may be handy to take a shot for identification purposes.

Personally (aside from the 'twig in front') I would be happy with this as a capture; you have a well focused, sunlit bird against an 'in shadow' tree trunk, so already three things are in your favour. With some decent PP software and the skill to use it (learnt with practice), this could be enhanced further.

Having the bird bigger in the final frame is key to this, then perhaps a bit more blur behind it and sharpening of the bird only after a downsize for web use. Maybe also look at adjusting background levels for more contrast difference. You could even attempt to clone out that twig, although some might consider that a 'step too far' in PP.

EXIF data: Nikon D7000 at 300mm, f/5.6, 1/400s, iso 400 - good choices for this shot in my view.

However, if you can get closer to the subject, so it fills the frame more, don't be afraid to raise th iso further to obtain a higher shutter speed, and/or us f/8, which, if that's the Nikon 70-300mm lens, I find better than wide open (f/5.6) at 300mm.

A good start, welcome to Project 52.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Craig, I agree with all the above comments. I too like to take bird shots, and I've been very happy with the D7000 compared to the D3000 because I am able to take a shot like this and as long as the focus is on the bird I've been able to crop dramatically and still end up with a decent shot. The bird looks very sharp in this so I'm sure you should be able to crop. The twig is unfortunate, but these darn birds never perch where you want them to and in this case it's not covering anything important so I think you have a pretty good shot here.

As a fellow D7000 shooter and bird lover I look forward to seeing more

Wendy

Real Name
    Craig

Thank you for your comments... really appreciate the feedback.

Real Name
    Craig

Re: PROJECT 52 Week 2 by Craig (Craig3070)

Here is a butterfly shot with my Nikon D7000. ISO 640, F/10, 1/250 at 185mm. Quite enjoying getting a little up close and personal with flowers and insects, not to macro closeness yet as I don't have a macro lens (yet!).

Real Name
    Mal

A very good capture given you don't have a macro lens at your disposal. It's a shame you didn't get the butterfly front on.

Have you had a look at what your photo looks like with a tighter crop?

Welcome Craig,
    The photo is reasonably in focus considering the distance you took it from, butterflies are very difficult to capture and you have done very well, with insects you really need to be side or front on so that you get the head in focus, a crop on the left side to remove the majority of the leaf would enhance the composition.
    Keep Shooting

Real Name
    Craig

Is this a better crop Wendy? Looks like the quality is starting to break up though.

I wouldn't have cropped as tight as that, Craig. I would try to alter the size ratio so as to remove a lot of the left side but leave the bottom mostly intact. A bit of flower makes a nice contrast to the butterfly.

It is a pity that the left wing partially obscures the eye but it is still good. Don't worry too much about shooting odd angles with subjects like this. The most important bit is to get square on to the subject so as much as possible is in focus.

I often find that butterflies taken from 'perfect angles' look as though they are dead specimens in a collection.

Real Name
    Wendy

I like this one with or without the crop. Nice capture of a difficult subject.

Wendy

Real Name

Hi Craig,

That's pretty good, better than my first goes were/are.

I was happy with the first crop, the second is a little tight for my taste too, but there's no need to do it again.

My only minor suggestion would be to apply some gentle PP blur to the branch behind the wing.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Craig

Re: PROJECT 52 Week 3 by Craig (Craig3070)

This time I tried capturing birds in flight. Any suggestions? I was quite pleased with the results but as usual value any constructive advice.

Real Name
    Mal

Good composition and the seagull looks nice and sharp. I think my only comment is that you can probably turn up the exposure a little to catch a bit more detail.

Real Name
    Joe

Agrees with Malcolm.

The danger with increasing brightness is that it will also apply to the sea which could look wrong. But it is definitely worth a go. Maybe, mostly increase the highlights and leave plenty of contrast in the shadows.

Real Name

Hi Craig,

I'd try some Local Contrast Enhancement on it first, then look again at the levels to see if they still needed adjusting (while reviewing a histogram). It maybe you'll need to apply just to the bird to avoid what Geoff said.

While it is basically sharp, the eyes are a little less so than the feet, if mine, I'd cheat and wipe a sharpen brush over the eyes.

Cheers,

Hi Craig, good composition, clear, perhaps a little more exposure to make it pop a little, you have done well with the wings, great detail, but still gives the appearence of flying, like the raised position. well done

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Craig, Are you still with us??? I hope so, but I can sure relate to getting behind in this project.

I really like the type of shot you are taking. The butterfly is quite nice and you did a great job gettin the seagul in flight, such nice straight lines too.

Hope to see more soon

Wendy

Real Name
    Craig

Recently ran into a few kookaburras. They sat in the tree for quite a while so I could experiment with pictures of them. Here is one of the best, in my humble opinion. I welcome comments and suggestions for improvement. Thanks to the folk who have commented on my photos to date.
    Craig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast