Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silhouettes in a Window (Warning - Boudoir style photograph)

Real Name
    Mal

Silhouettes in a Window (Warning - Boudoir style photograph)

This is one of the series of shots I took as part of a "Silhouettes in a Windows" boudoir theme I had in my head last month. Kerry and I liked this one so much that we ended up having it blow up as a canvas.

Of course, the more you look at a photo the more things you notice I thought I'd get some C&C just to see what everyone else's thoughts, opinions, and observations were.

Real Name
    GIRISH A.

Re: Silhouettes in a Window (Warning - Boudoir style photograph)

The photo is too good...........very nice composition ...excellent silhouette

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

It is a nice shot, but since you asked; and being super pernickity;
    It looks blown in three/four significant (but admittedly small in % terms) areas; these have gone to sharp edged white blobs in PP
    There are 3 stripes and two dots of window muck I'd clone over for a more even 'texture' (all at top of frame)
    There's a brighter spot (outside), just on left edge of frame, which I'd dim down or clone over (about 1/3 up)
    I'm not sure the white vignette works in the lower two corners so well (and it's invisible at the top anyway)

I kinda miss the reflection of Kerry's face, although we have the hand

I am envious you have these photo opportunities, I wish I did, I just can't see my wife agreeing (never has in past)

Real Name
    Kerry

Dave, they say 'wives' nag their husbands, well I tell you I have never been nagged so much by my husband to pose for him in this style. I think I just gave up and gave in

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    It is a nice shot, but since you asked; and being super pernickity;
    It looks blown in three/four significant (but admittedly small in % terms) areas; these have gone to sharp edged white blobs in PP
    There are 3 stripes and two dots of window muck I'd clone over for a more even 'texture' (all at top of frame)
    There's a brighter spot (outside), just on left edge of frame, which I'd dim down or clone over (about 1/3 up)
    I'm not sure the white vignette works in the lower two corners so well (and it's invisible at the top anyway)
    Thanks - I was looking for super critical feedback so I can do better next time. Not sure why the white vignette is even at the bottom corners. I don't remember doing it but i was just figuring out what I could do with post processing at the time so it might have been something I was just experimenting with.

Quote Originally Posted by kezmal View Post
    Dave, they say 'wives' nag their husbands, well I tell you I have never been nagged so much by my husband to pose for him in this style. I think I just gave up and gave in
    What can I say - the opportunity was there and I took it. It was probably less nagging and more of the fact that I got the camera out and just started shooting

I kinda miss the reflection of Kerry's face, although we have the hand
    When I finally got Kerry to agree to pose, one of the things I said was that the shots were to be as the title suggests, silhouettes so nobody would know it was her if they saw the images. Obviously, a couple of other opportunity shots made it into the shoot, like the reflection of Kerry's face. However, I think it was the anonymity element that got Kerry to reluctantly agree to pose for me.

I am envious you have these photo opportunities, I wish I did, I just can't see my wife agreeing (never has in past)
    You raise a really interesting point. Women, wives in particular, always seem to have a problem with how they perceive themselves. They never seem to be able to see the grace, beauty and light that we as husbands see them in on a daily basis.

That's actually what got me interested in the boudoir style of photography. I wanted to show Kerry what I see whenever I look at her - and using silhouettes was a bit of a toe in the water exercise that ultimately turned out much better than I had envisioned. I think the photos that came out helped her to really understand how beautiful she really is (although she still argues the point a lot!)

The fact that this shoot was a semi-candid photo shoot with no special preparation helped to emphasise that it really is just all her. No props, lights, or extra make up - just a reluctant but beautiful model in each photo. I think this shoot helped lift her confidence and how she sees herself such that she's looking forward to the next boudoir shoot - which I'll do when I'm ready and have learnt a bit more

My only suggestion is to pitch it in terms of wanting to show your wife how you see her, and perhaps in a way that doesn't reveal too much (such as silhouettes) but enough to boost her confidence and interest.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcoastgolfer View Post
    ~ Obviously, a couple of other opportunity shots made it into the shoot, like the reflection of Kerry's face. However, I think it was the anonymity element that got Kerry to reluctantly agree to pose for me.

~

My only suggestion is to pitch it in terms of wanting to show your wife how you see her, and perhaps in a way that doesn't reveal too much (such as silhouettes) but enough to boost her confidence and interest.
    Good ideas, I had missed that one completely (this time round).

You raise a really interesting point. Women, wives in particular, always seem to have a problem with how they perceive themselves.
    Not just women; I dislike seeing pictures of myself from behind or the side, exposing an ever enlarging bald patch, plus in shots from the front against a dark background, my hair has receded so much you'd think I was completely bald anyway.

I dislike seeing this in pictures, but the silly thing is; that's how others see me every day! (but if I don't see it, it hasn't happened)

Cheers,

Real Name
    John

I think we all have a personal opinion that one side of our bodies make for better poses, when it could just be a lighting thing. Although there is also the perception that a person looking left or right in an image is more desirable.

Real Name
    John

This is one of the series of shots I took as part of a "Silhouettes in a Windows" boudoir theme I had in my head last month. Kerry and I liked this one so much that we ended up having it blow up as a canvas.

Of course, the more you look at a photo the more things you notice I thought I'd get some C&C just to see what everyone else's thoughts, opinions, and observations were.

Nice image, too severe of a crop behind Kerry's shoulder. Also, too large of an image, you want to bring the viewer in to the frame. Is it me or does everyone else set their monitor zoom level to 200%. I had to zoom out to 100% in order to get the full frame within my monitor.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Is it me or does everyone else set their monitor zoom level to 200%. I had to zoom out to 100% in order to get the full frame within my monitor.
    I hope it's just you

Browser zoom (if that's what you mean) makes all images look soft - I would recommend 100% viewing only - and that for 99% of the time - I do use browser zoom occasionally (to help check verticals/horizons)

Real Name
    John

I hope it's just you

Browser zoom (if that's what you mean) makes all images look soft - I would recommend 100% viewing only - and that for 99% of the time - I do use browser zoom occasionally (to help check verticals/horizons)
    Yes, I meant the browser zoom, the recommended resolution setting for my laptop monitor is 1600x900 so it makes it easier to read text when zoomed in 200%.

Real Name
    Myra

Lovely photo. Malcolm, maybe it's just because I teach English and see symbolism and every other literature element everywhere, but when I first looked at the photo my eyes were drawn to the windows in the background buildings. To my eyes, they are crosses. Now, what an interesting critique of your work could be had were those put there on purpose

Kerry, you look beautiful in this photo. From where I am in life, I wish I had had the same opportunity 25-30 years ago. This is something you can both cherish.

Real Name
    Mal

Not just women; I dislike seeing pictures of myself from behind or the side, exposing an ever enlarging bald patch, plus in shots from the front against a dark background, my hair has receded so much you'd think I was completely bald anyway.

I dislike seeing this in pictures, but the silly thing is; that's how others see me every day! (but if I don't see it, it hasn't happened)

Cheers,
    It's probably everyone that dislikes seeing themselves at the end of the day. Just had the same problem with my teenage son who doesn't think he has any attractive features in a photo. I guess that's one of our challenges as photographers - to show our subjects what they really look like in the eyes of others - inner and outer beauty (if that's possible). Might make for an interesting Project 52 theme at least - transforming reluctant subjects into willing ones

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice image, too severe of a crop behind Kerry's shoulder. Also, too large of an image, you want to bring the viewer in to the frame. Is it me or does everyone else set their monitor zoom level to 200%. I had to zoom out to 100% in order to get the full frame within my monitor.
    The crop I think had more to do with the image rotation. The bottom of the window wasn't horizontal and when I rotated it, I probably lost more of the image than I would have liked - I know what you're saying and perhaps a little bit more space to Kerry's right would have been better. I had my 50mm on and the space in the room was limited so I was having a bit of trouble getting the composition to fit. I might have to try the zoom next time to give a bit more flexibility.

When you say too large an image, I'm not quite sure I follow...

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Lovely photo. Malcolm, maybe it's just because I teach English and see symbolism and every other literature element everywhere, but when I first looked at the photo my eyes were drawn to the windows in the background buildings. To my eyes, they are crosses. Now, what an interesting critique of your work could be had were those put there on purpose
    If only I could claim credit for that It might add to the story of why Kerry is looking out the window. However the sad truth is that we were so focussed on the dirt on the window that we didn't even notice what sort of buildings were outside. However that's one of the elements of photography that I really want to get better at.

Appreciate all the feedback everyone

Real Name
    John

When you say too large an image, I'm not quite sure I follow...
    Image size meaning the difference between post #1 and post #8, has more to do with my browser setting than your image size. When I read your post the image only showed about 2/3 of the image and I had to zoom in to see the total image.
    Last edited by Donald; 1st January 2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Quotes inserted

Real Name
    Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post

Kerry, you look beautiful in this photo. From where I am in life, I wish I had had the same opportunity 25-30 years ago. This is something you can both cherish.
    Thank you so much Myra I think getting older is making me a little bolder!

Dave Humphries said: "There are 3 stripes and two dots of window muck I'd clone over for a more even 'texture' (all at top of frame)"

I think these should be left in. It's supposed to look like she's looking out
    the window. "Improving" the window too much takes away that effect.

The bit in the very left corner at the bottom should be doctored up, though.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by TonyCooper View Post
    Dave Humphries said: "There are 3 stripes and two dots of window muck I'd clone over for a more even 'texture' (all at top of frame)"

I think these should be left in. It's supposed to look like she's looking out
    the window. "Improving" the window too much takes away that effect.

The bit in the very left corner at the bottom should be doctored up, though.
    Cheers Tony. The bottom left corner is the white vignetting I used instead of the dark style- and I still don't know why I did that!

Real Name
    Mike

Malcom- This is well done. My eyes get diverted to the bright overblown spots on the chest... don't know if decreasing that area will help?

Ive seen budoir shots on POTN and some of them while nice, the models vary from being pleasing to look at to "yikes! please don't show me that!" Kerry has a natural beauty to her and she makes a good model for the shots you presented here.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Malcom- This is well done. My eyes get diverted to the bright overblown spots on the chest... don't know if decreasing that area will help?
    You should see how they come up on the canvas I think you're right with those spots - it's one area that I wanted to look at touching up because they are a little distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Ive seen budoir shots on POTN and some of them while nice, the models vary from being pleasing to look at to "yikes! please don't show me that!" Kerry has a natural beauty to her and she makes a good model for the shots you presented here.
    I'm pretty lucky in that regard

Real Name
    Richard

The image is very erotic and intimate but, not a bit vulgar. I like it very much!

About the only query I have is wouldn't it look a bit cleaner cropping out the window sill and portion of the hand at the bottom?

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    About the only query I have is wouldn't it look a bit cleaner cropping out the window sill and portion of the hand at the bottom?
    Funny you should mention that as with the canvas we had done we had to crop out the bottom. I'm partial to both but I think the white vignetting does something weird with the window sill and hand. I'm going to rework the series of images taking in what everyone has said when I get a chance - probably later this week and I'll repost them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast