Thread: New Computer, New software?

Real Name
    Eduardo Ribeiro

New Computer, New software?

Hello everybody,

I have just "converted" from my PC into a MacBook Air. With the package comes Apple's managing/processing application iPhoto. Currently I use Lightroom 3 in my PC. My Apple Evangelistic Brother insists that I should convert into iPhoto too. He says it is much easier, has face recognition and other perks, and "virually" the same processing capabilities of LR3.

As background info, I am not too serious of a processor (yet?).

What is the members experience with iPhoto? Should I change?

Thanks in advance to all.

Eduardo

Real Name
    Hans

re: New Computer, New software?

Lightroom is a different software compared to iPhoto. You can easily install Lightroom on your mac because the license is the same for mac and Windows. Use them next to each other meaning do the RAW processing in LR and the finishing touch in iPhoto.

Real Name
    Mal

I'm on a Mac as well and prefer Lightroom to Iphoto. Lightroom is more powerful and I believe is the equivalent of Apple's Aperture program.

Real Name
    Eduardo Ribeiro

Quote Originally Posted by Hansm View Post
    Lightroom is a different software compared to iPhoto. You can easily install Lightroom on your mac because the license is the same for mac and Windows. Use them next to each other meaning do the RAW processing in LR and the finishing touch in iPhoto.
    Thanks hans, but doesn't this mean that I end up with two libreries? one in LR e one in Iphoto? managing metadata in each, albuns in each, etc?

Real Name
    Tim

As a long time Mac user I use Lightroom - have not used iPhoto since the early versions that were not very good. I can't think of anything I'd want to do in iPhoto that Icouldn't achieve in Lightroom. If you were to follow Hans' suggestion (which I don't agree with, personally) you'd maintain only your LR library and export images that you felt you needed to do more work on, to iPhoto only after doing everything you wanted in LR.
    Cheers
    Tim

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Macmahon View Post
    As a long time Mac user I use Lightroom - have not used iPhoto since the early versions that were not very good. I can't think of anything I'd want to do in iPhoto that Icouldn't achieve in Lightroom. If you were to follow Hans' suggestion (which I don't agree with, personally) you'd maintain only your LR library and export images that you felt you needed to do more work on, to iPhoto only after doing everything you wanted in LR.
    Cheers
    Tim
    I agree with Tim - I'm not sure why you'd use iPhoto at all. What is it that iPhoto does that Lightroom can't do from your perspective?

Real Name
    Mike

iPhoto is a basic photo editing program. Apple has Aperture as their advanced editing program, which is the apple version of Adobes Lightroom. When you download pics, you set your default settings to always open a certain program when you download pics. If you're comfortable with LR, transfer it to your new mac. If you like the Mac program user interface, Aperture will give you the Apple experience.

I currently use iPhoto on my iMac. I have gotten past the point where its frustrating not being able to make further changes people on this site are suggesting because iPhoto is NOT capable of doing them. I would have to go to LR, Aperture or PS to do it. Because of that and my current computers memory shortage, Im going to get myself a MacBook and Aperture. (I like the apple interface better than adobe. just my preference).

Since you dont know if you will become a serious processor yet… and you already have lightroom, switch it to your mac. At least you have it. Depending on your photo-taking preferences, many photos could be just fine being processed in iPhoto. Some need more advanced tweaking- thats when you want to move the photo over to LR.
    Last edited by Harpo; 22nd December 2011 at 02:22 PM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by eribeiro View Post
    My Apple Evangelistic Brother insists that I should convert into iPhoto too.
    Just because you hear it from an evangelist doesn't mean it's necessarily the right advice (in my experience, often the "evangelism" part takes over).

Real Name
    Alex

Re: New Computer, New software?

Quote Originally Posted by eribeiro View Post
    My Apple Evangelistic Brother insists that I should convert into iPhoto too.
    Maybe you are more advanced in post-processing than you think. When you work with photos all the time for your hobby it is easy to forget how little the general photo snapper knows as you are always concentrating on getting better, not seeing how much you have improved.

Perhaps you should convert your brother to using Lightroom.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by herbert View Post
    Maybe you are more advanced in post-processing than you think. When you work with photos all the time for your hobby it is easy to forget how little the general photo snapper knows as you are always concentrating on getting better, not seeing how much you have improved.

Perhaps you should convert your brother to using Lightroom.
    Or convert him to stop worshiping fruit!

Real Name
    Hans

Sorry for my late reply. LR is a raw converting software. You can not apply filters directly or work in layers. For this you have to edit in editting software, a option in LR that they didn't make just for fun.
    Cloning can be done in LR but is a pain compared to what I normally use; Photoshop.
    Last edited by Hansm; 22nd December 2011 at 05:00 PM.

Real Name
    Eduardo Ribeiro

thanks to all.
    I decided finally to use Aperture. The 2 things that lead me to the decision were the face recognition and the GPS ease of use. I have the GPS plug in for the LR, but Aperture`s GPS seemed easier for me.
    I'll keep my LR around though. Let's see what happens in a couple of months, when I become more proficient in photography.

Real Name
    Ian

Eduardo,

Glad you decided on Aperture over iPhoto. A lot of it is what you get used to, but I would agree with other comments that iPhoto is too limiting. Aperture does most things and is Apple's answer to CS/Photoshop but somewhat easier and a little less comprehensive of the things you will never use in PS.

The Nik software plug-ins for Aperture are good too, and somewhat less expensive than the CS version

Good luck. Enjoy.

Real Name
    Eduardo Ribeiro

Just an update.

Have been using Aperture for a couple of months now. It does everything this neanderthal could expect. Lots yet to learn. One thing that impressed me are the video tutorials. Dumb proof.

Lightroom 4 is out. Comments about it from anyone? Apparently it finally has gps tagging.