Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lighting Experiments

Real Name
    Peter

Lighting Experiments

Hi, just thought I'd share a recent photo of myself taken while experimenting with different lighting. Was very pleased with how it came out and is one of my favourite photos I've managed to do.

Be interested to hear C&C on this.

In terms of my thoughts, I like the style, but probably could have used a fraction more depth of field if I had my time again.

Lighting Experiments

{Small disclaimer - technically I didn't take this photo in that I didn't press the shutter button - I had my niece snapping for me. However I did set up all settings on the cameras and lights and hence I reckon I can claim some credit}

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Lighting Experiments

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
    In terms of my thoughts, I like the style, but probably could have used a fraction more depth of field if I had my time again.
    Mmm. Maybe a touch more.

The one thing I wonder about is whether you should have thrown a bit of light onto the side of your face nearest the camera (with something acting as as reflector) - just to give a little detail in there? Although I admit to liking your right eye peering out of the darkness.

It does have a nice atmosphere.
    Last edited by Donald; 20th December 2011 at 02:58 PM.

Real Name
    Louise

I do like your portrait, there is a direction to your gaze that is interesting , the viewer is left with a question: humm, what is he thinking about?
    I would prefer that the right side of the head and ear be in the dark, it would add to the mystery and be less distracting.
    All the intensity is in the face!

Real Name
    Mal

I'm more for Donald's perspective with a touch more lighting to show a bit more detail on the dark side of his face but it may work losing the light so that the back of his head and ear are darker as well. The portrait itself works very well.

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks for the comments. I hadn't set out to create this specific shot but it was actually one of about 20-30that I was playing around with different lighting positions and one that I liked the most. I did like the "atmosphere".

Some may call it beginners luck!

Real Name
    Louise

I am reading a book about the famous portrait studio: Harcourt studio-Paris. The became famous for their black & white portraits. They had a full staff of photographes/make-up artist/technicians post production. As I am learning about portrait I see in this book that a little powder applied to the face saves a lot of time in post-prodution retouching the over brillance of the skin for exemple.
    I think you would enjoy this book, you have something of their style in that pic.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    I find myself opposite of Donald on this one. I would have fully shadowed out that slightly lighted area top left from the collar up yielding just the light direction from the right (your left in the shot). Your gaze is intriguing in this shot.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    This is a quickie edit on my iPhone. Lighting Experiments

Real Name
    Brian

The one thing I would change about the light is moving it higher - this would lessen the brightness on your shirt collar. This is what I keep looking at, not your face. Of course, my opinion may be one in a million!
    Of course, a dark shirt would have the same effect if you wanted to leave the light there for some other reason.

Real Name
    Jeff

Personally I like the treatment that Rob did on this although I do like the original also. I'm just in the learning stages of portraits so my opinion may not mean much but I know what I like and that's a start. I really like what you were going for here.

Real Name
    Richard

Along Louise's lines of proper makeup application saving much post processing time. A simple facial tissue (Kleenex type) swiped over the face prior to snapping the shutter also does wonders for men or women; especially those with oily complexions. The tissue is the least expensive accessory that a photographer can have in his or her kit.

BTW": just having the subject moisten his/her lips with the tongue also does wonders in lessening post production time...

One critique that I notice regarding many of the "first-time" portraits posted on CiC is that many of the subjects would benefit from proper makeup and a proper hairdo.

Real Name
    Brian

Very interesting!
    At first I didn't realize that this was a post from two years ago and looking at the photo today I thought exactly the same thing I posted two years ago! Not sure what that says about me...

Real Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Very interesting!
    At first I didn't realize that this was a post from two years ago and looking at the photo today I thought exactly the same thing I posted two years ago! Not sure what that says about me...
    That at least you are consistent Brian!

I entirely agree that the shirt collar is a distraction, and it is just possible to crop under the chin and 'lose it' which does wonders for concentrating the viewer on the relevant focal point of the picture.