Thread: just learning....

Real Name
    Ian

just learning....

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to photography, I captured this by chance one morning on my way to work, shot it in B&W with no processing, would be intrested in receiving feedback from any experienced photographers about its composition, changes or tips for future photos.....

just learning....

Many thanks

Real Name
    Chris

Re: just learning....

I rotated the image so the horizon line (red) is parallel to the bottom of the frame, then did a reset of your black and white points. From the crop grid, you might want to consider a 16:9 crop ratio. This is just a start but I found the absolute blacks too heavy and absolute whites too stark against a wonderful set of grays.

I would likely crop out the grass at the bottom of the frame, either by crop or clone before I set the 16 x 9 crop.

just learning....

Real Name
    Ian

Hi MiniChris,

thank you for your feedback, is that CS5 your using? I haven't got a processing software as yet. I've made some change re you suggestion below, any better?

just learning....

Thanks

Real Name
    Mark

Ian nice image well composed, yes the grass needed to go but with this edit youve muted it too much i preferred the hard contrast of the as shot version, this edit take the emphasis of the lake leading the eye to the distance away. and in my opinion ruins what was a very good picture, well done on the capture.

Real Name
    Ian

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your comments. i've returned it to its original state - minus the grass! I do like the contrast of the starker colours.....

just learning....

Real Name
    Chris

It is CS5...without editing software it stand up pretty good onits own, but would greatly benefit not to have those blacks so dense. You should have first done a crop edit which removed the grass, then recropped to the 16/9. I think it has too much sky in this version.

You can download GIMP for free.

rob marshall

Where do you work that gives you a view like this on the way to it?

Real Name
    Ian

Its just as I leave my Village in North Wales, after here its just the mundane A55 dual carriageway.......

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Rasamus View Post
    ...after here its just the mundane A55 dual carriageway.......
    Ah, yes, but think of all those high-rolling English trippers that it brings in from the urban wastes of the North.

I do like the shot. It has a good feel of tranquility, and we all need tranquility.

Real Name
    Steve

Beautiful shot and conversion , ian. I like the crop much better .

Have you considered taking a 2 shot pano and include a little more of the right side. This would give some stronger leading lines into the frame (the way the hills are angled on the right side) and move the focal point out of the center of the frame.

Real Name
    Mark

A very nice view, well done. I am going to disagree with everyone and say I think it´s a much stronger composition with the forground grass left in. Just crop a bit off the top there´s too much sky.

Real Name
    Ian

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your comments, here it is with sky cropped and the grass back in, I included it originally to give a better feel for the lake, but too much of it does nothing for the photo!

just learning....

Real Name
    Ian

Hi Steve,

I haven't actually, but that's a good suggestion as I can never quite fit in what I want! How would you do that with an DSLR, would you have to take two seperate pics and knit them together?

Many thanks

Real Name
    Mark

Hi Steve...A bit too much I think it feels a bit cramped, I would have liked a bit more for ground but something like this works best for me.

just learning....

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Rasamus View Post
    Hi Steve,

I haven't actually, but that's a good suggestion as I can never quite fit in what I want! How would you do that with an DSLR, would you have to take two seperate pics and knit them together?

Many thanks
    It's best to use a tripod, but you don't have to. You can take as many frames as you want, just overlap them by 1/3 of a frame. Then load them into photoshop and stitch them together. Go to file---automate---photomerge---choose the files you want to merge and click ok. It will do the rest.

Real Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MGH View Post
    Hi Steve...A bit too much I think it feels a bit cramped, I would have liked a bit more for ground but something like this works best for me.

just learning....
    Hi Mark,

yes I can see the difference it makes by cropping some of the sky away.

thanks