Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some San Francisco Scenes

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Some San Francisco Scenes

Last week I went to San Francisco for lunch with a fly fishing group. I don't fish but I hang with this amazing group of businessmen who are expert fly fishermen. San Francisco is noisy and busy and I usually avoid the city but this time I went early and took my camera to see if anything would be worth shooting. I actually enjoyed myself and while I didn't have a lot of time and didn't get any "great" shots, I got a few OK ones. This was quite different for me as I normally shoot wildlife and landscapes. Christmas decorations, some quite amazing, were everywhere so I made several of the images into Christmas cards on my Zazzle site. I also put these on my fine art website in case there's some interest out there. Thought I might share a few here.

Chuck

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Some San Francisco Scenes

You did quite well I think, Chuck. Only one nit......you really need to start fly-fishing. I have seen some of the places you normally frequent! Once the light goes fooy....break out the pole!

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    You did quite well I think, Chuck. Only one nit......you really need to start fly-fishing. I have seen some of the places you normally frequent! Once the light goes fooy....break out the pole!
    Ah yes...fishing. I grew up on a ranch with 5 miles of the Shasta River on it and I could fish at will. I loved it but when the ranch sold I lost my heart for fishing. Now photography does for me what fishing used to do....it's part art and part science and you're always after the big one.

Chuck

Real Name
    Paul

Well said, and I get it. Besides think of all the extra cash you have for lenses when you are not buying a new $400 reel.

Real Name
    John

I've seen those large ornaments in other cities as well, for a bit of realism they should show a few broken ones, you kids know the ones I'm talking about, mom's favorite that you weren't supposed to touch.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I've seen those large ornaments in other cities as well, for a bit of realism they should show a few broken ones, you kids know the ones I'm talking about, mom's favorite that you weren't supposed to touch.
    You have that right...and don't blame the cat

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    Chuck - As you know, I'm not really one for that HDR'd look. But you do it very well. And I do like the composition of this one in particular. That road marking going directly away from us gives us the perfect line taking us across the street. And then we're into that part of it that's bounded by those two buildings that really create a gateway and lead us through into the background. Where we have a backstop - those other buildings at the back. It's not just a case of disappearing off into the distance.

And I think the perspective distortion really works here as well as we have the feeling of being in a claustrophobic, environment with those buildings bearing down on us. And just to emphasise the point, we have small, insignificant people making their way through this metropolis.

And lighting rigth across the frame - on the buildings, in the sky - is super.

Still wish you didn't put that watermark on them though!

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thank you Donald. The intersection is non-descript but somehow it begged to have its picture taken. I left he lens distortion in all the images as I felt the images would loose something if I "fixed" them. Somehow I really like the image you reference...perhaps you've cited why I like it but still it appeals to me in some way I can't quite put words to. I have a black and white version that appeals as well.

Chuck