Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Patterns of The Palouse

Real Name
    John Beliera

Patterns of The Palouse

The Palouse wheat country, in eastern Washington State, is a sea of "amber waves of grain" punctuated by bright yellow canola and lime-green pea fields. In early summer, the wheat fields usually show off their splendor of green matched against the other crops creating an endless gulf of the Palouse patterns. Beyond the Palouse, the wheat fields give way to endless ridges of emerald-green forests. The land here is "purple mountains majesty" with whitewater thrown in. You can see into four states and overlook the largest wilderness area in the lower 48 states. You can see the "River of No Return," the Salmon, join the mighty Snake River.A beautiful vista of endless rolling hills awaits the visitor to the summit of Steptoe Butte. The road winds around the butte in a spiral all the way to the peak. Steptoe Butte soars 3,612 feet into the sky. Driving to the top of Steptoe is like seeing the landscape from an airplane. The park is famous for its stark, dramatic beauty and the panoramic view it provides of surrounding farmlands, the Blue Mountains, and other neighboring ranges and peaks. From the top of the butte, the eye can see 200 miles.

With its top at 3,612 feet often shouded in perling clouds, Steptoe Butte is the highest formation in the Palouse Hills. Formations similar to Steptoe Butte create an inland atoll within this restless sea of grains and grasses which it is the most western in a chain of prominents that includes Stratton, Granit, and Kamiak buttes and Moscow and Tekoa mountains.

Native Americans called the butte the power mountain. It was believed that a journey to the butte bestowed a gift of power from the mountain's guardian spirit. The butte's present name honors Colonel Edward Steptoe, who gave years of service maintaining peace in the region. His men were killed in a conflict, which he tried to prevent, with Native Americans.
    For the serious photographer,the Palouse region is long lens and tripod country, so don't leave home without it,and if you make the trip be sure to visit the Butte.(The Power Mountain) You won't be disappointed.
    previous page Patterns of The Palouse
    Last edited by sunseeker; 14th December 2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: to add to my post

Real Name
    Ian

Re: Patterns of The Palouse

You mean...
    (IMG deleted)

...and that's a lovely shot, John

(which I don't want to 'steal': if you edit your post - just add the G and closing bracket after [/IM - the photo will display, then I'll delete it from my post)
    Ian
    Last edited by IanCD; 14th December 2011 at 09:53 PM.

Real Name
    Maja or Molly

Awesome.

Real Name
    John Beliera

thanks for the help Ian.Ii am glad you liked the image
    John

Real Name
    Ian

You're welcome... I'd love to see those fields myself... added to the list!

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Lovely shot John and thanks for the background on the area.

And welcome.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    John Beliera

thank you
    John