Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Newbie's first try...Be gentle

Real Name
    Marc Laubscher

Newbie's first try...Be gentle

Good Day Guys and Ladies.

I registered today and was wondering when would be a good time to break the ice by posting my first picture here. That's when I realised there is no better time than right now, so here we go with one of my first posts on nature and architecture...

Critics...Start your engines, please!

Last edited by MLaubscher; 14th December 2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Fixing typo's

Real Name
    Mal

Re: Newbie's first try...Be gentle

I remember how daunting my first post was on here And it wasn't that long ago so take my comments with a grain of salt as I'm still learning and landscapes and architecture aren't familiar ground for me.

I had a couple of thoughts so:

- I think your depth of field is too shallow or your focus point is too much in the foreground. The fence dominates the front area and leads you up to the background but loses definition as your eye gets drawn up. More detail in the background would add to the image overall.
    - When my eye reaches the background there's a structure (out of focus) that draws my attention away from the rest of the picture. For me it unbalances the image overall with all of the empty grass space on the left. Perhaps a different angle?
    - The image seems a little underexposed to me.

I'm sure you'll get feedback from more qualified photographers shortly Hope this helps and keep them coming!

Real Name
    Toņo

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Malcolm. Most of the image is out of focus. Go for a wider DOF and IMO shoot from a different angle. I think you should take the picture from a lower position.

Is it possible for you to try again at the same location?

Toņo

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I think I can see what you are doing here, correct me if i am wrong or reading too much into this. I suspect you are doing an impressionistic treatment of the fence and vegetation? I might have cloned out the truck(?) and fence in the upper right but left the green vegetation as it acts to stop the viewers eye from exiting the image when following the fence. I do think the minimalist approach has some merit. I initially thought the fence could do with a slightly more diagonal view, however on further thought it might loose it's effectiveness as a minimal suggestion of a fence if the wire mesh was more open and less dense.

An interesting image, but it only works if viewed as an impression because otherwise it is too blurry overall with the focal plane at a hard to determine point in the frame

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Marc and welcome.

I agree with the others, I would like to see how the image looked with

• a slightly different angle (taken from more to the left and lower)
    • an aperture of about f/11 with the focal point set further in along the fence than it is now

Also I think the exposure needs a bit of tweaking and extra sharpening should be applied. Hope you don't mind but something like this perhaps

Cheers Dave

PS: If Trevor is right about your possible intentions with this image then disregard my comments. I've been caught once before providing "advice" that was totally at odds with the photographers intentions !

Real Name
    John

Hi Marc,
    welcome to CiC.
    I agree with most of the comments above. I too think the picture should have been taken from a lower angle and if that is a truck at the top right hand side, perhaps this could have been the main focal point, focused nice and sharply on that, allowing the rest of the picture to be thrown out of focus.
    Overall I can see what you were trying to achieve and commend you for trying; that's the way we all learn, but on this occasion, for me it doesn't really work.
    Look forward to see more of your work, keep enjoying your photography.