Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I have a website...

Real Name
    Bill

I have a website...

Looking for some critiques.

I must first off say, not all these photos are my best, I was also using the site to show family members across the country some of my photos. All of the photos on this site were taken with a Canon Powershot SD-750 ( I love this camera). But now I have taken the SLR plunge, but haven;t had any of my new camera pics uploaded yet, but hopefully.

But any comments are welcome, and I can use it towards the learning curve with this camera. I'm newbie, go easy on my lol.

http://www.silvermountainphotography.com

Also, the site was built by a friend of mine for a school project.

Cheers

Real Name
    Chris

Re: I have a website...

The site design is quite nice except it would be nice to have both thumbs and real pics bigger.

However, if you would like some crit on this forum, it would be much easier for us if you can select 3 or 4 and cross-post them here so they come up at least 1024x768 and with exif intact.

Real Name
    Bill

Ok, I will do that. Just getting my FTP up and running again

Real Name
    Bill

Here are a few pictures I have taken with my Rebel XSi

1. I happened across this bottle lying in the sand at the beach, I think the name is appropriate for where it was

2. This is my foster sister, decided to try her out for some poses while i was waiting for planes to come in.

3. Plane landing with the sunset in behind.

4. I like the way the road is sort of rippled and wavy with the cyclist heading out .

I can't tell ya the technical things for each photo, cause I am a newbie and I don;t remember what it was. But I await any criticism!!

1 - I have a website...

2 - I have a website...

3 - I have a website...

4 - I have a website...
    Last edited by Doughboy; 12th May 2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Resized my pictures

I really like the design of your site. For your photos, you show a lot of potential. You are seeking shots where most people don't look. My one piece of advice would be to simplify and get in closer to isolate your subject from background distractions. Look at your flower photos and see how you would crop to remove distractions. Then, next time you head out, frame it that way with your camera. Keep up the good work.

eNo
    http://esfotoclix.com

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks eNo

I have always been an artsy kid/guy. I really enjoy abstract artwork as well as modern, that's probably why I think of odd ideas for capturing certain scenes. I am always looking for new ways to shoot something. Things would be boring if we all shot the same way right

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

I like your website but I can't add to the advice you have already been given.

I've had a website for almost a year. I think it's useful for publicity or reputation but I sell far more through physical galleries where people can see the print before they purchase. I think the website is a good step and will help you in the long run.

Chuck

Real Name
    Bill

Yea, thats what I wanted for the site, a stepping stone so to speak. I am not fully comfortable with my knowledge just yet. Not enough to put pictures in a gallery, but it is something I would love to do one day. Its just a matter of building myself up to that point. I think I could do well with it, once i get there.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Bill,

Sadly, these take ages to load now, because you have posted the full size shots.

You really need to do an Image > Resize on pictures for posting on the web, and set the width to be say, 1200 maximum, if you have the option ticked for 'constrain proportions', or 'retain image proportions', you won't need to worry about entering a height, it will work that out for you.

That way, we'll see something big enough, but not too big. I know it's all new, and there's no need to worry.

As to the pictures, well, as eNo suggests, a tighter crop would help with some, not the sunset particularly, although tradition would say have a bit more space between the front of something and the edge of frame than the rear of it, in other words, so it has room to move into the picture before leaving it.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Bill

Dave

I resized the pictures, let me know if its better. I have never saved for web viewing before lol. learn something new every day

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    I resized the pictures, let me know if its better.
    Loading just fine for me now

Real Name

Hi Bill,

Yes much better thanks, I can see them all now.

If you ever have another go at #4, I'd be tempted to shoot without the distraction of the back of the sign across the road, or similar, possibly covered by the suggestion to crop tighter.

If you study number 4; look at all the elements that make it up, cyclist, sign, road, bushes, bridge, bridge support and think about if they were marginally altered in their relative positioning with each other, how this might improve, or make the picture worse.

I'm thinking, safety ensured, that if you'd been five feet to your left, in the roadway, the cyclist's head would not have coincided with either of the distant bridge supports and this would have been a better composition.

Thanks for resizing,

Real Name
    Bill

Wow, your right on the shifting to the left part. I never would have thought about it, but it makes sense.

And, I could have the opportunity for that same type of pic again, its near our airport and there are cyclist there all the time, as well as the road not being a major one. I will try this again tho, and let you know how it goes

Real Name

Do be careful Bill, have a "look out" person keeping an eye out behind you.
    You don't want to get carried away photographing and run over or arrested. (Do they do that in Canada? - for loitering in the road I mean)

Good luck,

Real Name
    Bill

Hehe, not sure. I would assume if I was being a nuisance I could get in trouble. But yes, for sure, I will have someone with me. I can't take pictures if I am dead now can I