Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A calming.

Real Name
    Bob R

A calming.

The beach always made me relax, not sure about the brightness. I had it brighter, but it seemed to lose the calming I was trying to portray. Another question, seems I did something wrong in the sky and can't figure that out. Thoughts?

A calming.

Re: A calming.

To me, I think (but I'm not sure) about a problem with the far left side. The sky and sea seem to merge into an odd shade of blue. And that little bit of beach seems somewhat distracting. I keep switching my gaze between that and the sky on the right, without much of any real interest between them.

I'm wondering about changing the aspect ratio a little and cropping away the left side just past that little bit of breaking wave; loosing the beach altogether.

Just by holding some card against the screen in this position appears to draw my eyes closer to the overall scene.

However, as an alternative, cropping the right side just past that piece of distant land and removing the brightest area of sky also works and creates a more 'mellow' scene.

Real Name
    Bob R

Thanks Geoff. I did try to crop more to the right, lost it's feeling for me anyway. So I went to the left. Added some beach instead of the small piece showed in the first. Maybe.......

A calming.

Real Name
    Reynold Mainse

How about this look Bob? by the way... Great photo - An I like the pano look.
    A calming.

I did several gradients to darken certain areas so that the beautiful horizon is the emphasis. I pulled a gradient down from the top, from Right to left, and the bottom left corner up following the angle of the waves to de-ephasis the sand.
    I also increased the warmth of the image and de-noised it a bit while leaving the sharp edges sharp.
    I hope this gives you some ideas about post production.
    reynold

Real Name
    Bob R

Reynold, thank you, de-noised, that is what I didn't do the first time around. I like your version, but in the same sense you have lost some of the highlights that the white part of the waves were creating. Is there a way to keep that portion in your version?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Bob. I love the way the colors blend softly across the sea and sky, specially in the lightbox. It is indeed peacefull. Reynold's version is pleasing as well but with the more golden sunset it has a slightly different feel. I think I still prefer your original better.

If I were to change it at all, I would likely play with making the offshore islands ever so slightly darker to add just a touch of contrast just there. Even at that I might find that I prefer the original. Very nicely done!

Real Name
    Bob R

Hi Frank, well that was a bit harder than it looked, but fun. I did add contrast just to the Channel Islands. I'm going to place it here and then look at the difference.

A calming.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBob View Post
    I did add contrast just to the Channel Islands.
    I really like the difference. Great job! Not too much, just about right. Lovely, simply lovely! I could look at your photograph for a long time and just let the feeling sink slowly in as I picture myself being there.

Real Name
    Bob R

Thank you, I still have so much to learn. But having fun doing it. Thank you all for your comments.

Bob

Real Name
    Ramachandran

I really like that "different" version, Bob. And the ratio. I think it has slightly changed from "calming" to "reassuring," but for good.
    Btw, I think your view about growing older is pretty well right!