Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: What is oversaturated?

What is oversaturated?

A semi-serious question really. Here is a snap of the moon that I did with the saturation turned up a little more than usual. This new funky look shows up the different materials that go to make up our moon. Turns out it isn't a flat grey thing after all.

What is oversaturated?

BTW, not my original idea but it's a fun thing to do. (If you like that kind of thing )

Real Name
    Chris

Re: What is oversaturated?

always thought it was made up from over-ripe cheese actually - there must have been a fair bit of detail there before you got to throwing rotten plums at it

This takes forever to load at the moment but I think this image works. If an image is overly processed to obtain an effect thats fine. However, saturating a 'faithful capture' image to the extent that it looks like a screen shot of a 1970's US TV budget sitcom can be pretty cruel on the old eyeballs. There will always be contention between those who wish to capture images in the technically correct sense and those who wish to take things a little further. If this were just another astronomical capture most people would not give it a second glance. As it stands it grabs your attention immediately......is that not we all strive for. I may be going out on a limb here but I suspect that most photographers are weighted to one of two audiences. Getting good feedback on the technical excellence from other photographers and those who go for impact that will turn the layman's head. One can be done by learning the other is mostly instinctive. A complimentary mixture is comparatively rare...but I guess they are the images people will pay good money for.

Real Name
    Steaphany

Nice effect, I'll have to try that

Answering the question in your subject line is like answering "what is over-joyous?"