Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Playing Around At The Beach

Real Name
    Mal

Playing Around At The Beach

Took the kids down to the beach just to see what I could do. Wouldn't mind some feedback on this one.

Cheers.

Last edited by Goldcoastgolfer; 29th November 2011 at 12:54 AM.

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Playing Around At The Beach

Hi Malcom, Love the composition generally and this has the potential to be a good one, maybe a tighter crop? im not very good at PP im still learning, the image seems a little misty or bland, is that the look your after? maybe alittle more vibrance, contrast, sharpening and crop out a little of the top and left side.

Great image, well done, im sure the others will be here to help soon

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Cropping the top right at where the reflection starts would give the foreground a little more attention IMO. Could be a bit sharper and the silhouette of the girl a bit darker. That's a good capture & with a touch of PP a great one for the wall, nice work.

That is a tricky one, Malcolm; like all shots into the sun.

I agree with a crop but I would go further than Mark.

Crop the top to remove that strip of brightness which extends to the left. Crop fairly tight to the figure on the right side. Crop the bottom for balance, probably somewhere around the shadow neck area. And if necessary, crop whatever is needed from the left side.

I suspect this might end up as a 5 x 4 ratio.

If there was a little more detail in the bright areas I think this shot would have worked well as it is now.

Possibly try darkening the shadows but I rather like the existing slight golden brown tint. Maybe a little darkening of the brighter 'flared' areas but there is a risk that this would then seem artificial

Sharpening is something which I thought about but this would probably increase the halo effect around the child's body.

So I think I would try the tighter crop first; and possibly stick with that.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 28th November 2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Mal

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've tightened the crop a bit as suggested and added a touch of sharpening. Not sure how to darken some of the reflection - or even if I can in Lightroom. I haven't darkened the silhoutte as I do like being able to see a little of the detail of my daughter.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Malcolm - Which version do you prefer?

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Malcolm - Which version do you prefer?
    Honestly i think I prefer the first version with maybe a crop that isn't so tight. I think the tighter crop makes the photo loses some of the context - at least to me.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I'm confused - I see no difference in crop between the images in post #1 and post #5.

The url's are slightly different, but I'd almost suggest the same photo got uploaded.

Or is it just me?

Anyway, that aside, I do like the shot Malcolm, the only suggestion being to clean up the flare on the silhouette edge under her backside, if you'll pardon the choice of words.

Great shot,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 29th November 2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: correct typo

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I'm confused - I see no difference in crop between the images in post #1 and post #5.

The url's are slightly different, but I'd almost suggest the same photo got uploaded.

Or is it just me?

Anyway, that aside, I do like the shot Malcolm, the only suggestion being to clean up the flare on the silhouette edge under her backside, if you'll pardon the choice of words.

Great shot,
    The web album overwrote the first image. I've uploaded the original back up to a different web album so you can see it.

Just on the flare, I had been wondering how to reduce that - can I do that in Lightroom or do I need Photoshop to do that. That being said, I'm sure my darling angel would give you the impression that the light actually shines out of her backside.
    Last edited by Goldcoastgolfer; 29th November 2011 at 12:56 AM.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Check out the www.Lightroomforums.com I just recently joined to get more out of Lightroom. So far I've read some pretty good stuff I would not have figured out just fumbling around myself.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Douglas View Post
    Check out the www.Lightroomforums.com I just recently joined to get more out of Lightroom. So far I've read some pretty good stuff I would not have figured out just fumbling around myself.
    Awesome - thanks for the tip.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    ... The only suggestion being to clean up the flare on the silhouette edge under her backside, if you'll pardon the choice of words.
    Well said! I wasn't sure how to say that. The brightest spot in the photo does draw my attention to an unfortunate location! Though everything else about he image I think is great.

Well done Malcolm!