Thread: church of the good shepherd, NZ

Real Name
    Malcolm Collins

church of the good shepherd, NZ

The church of the good shepherd,Lake Tekapo,Sth Island,NZ.This beautiful old church which is used for weddings in such idyllic surrounds,the afternoon light produces beautiful skieschurch of the good shepherd, NZ

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: church of the good shepherd, NZ

Malcolm

Looks like an old Scots kirk.

I think this has a lot of potential as a location. The key is in the composition. I'm feeling that this one might have benefited from some more work on checking out the best angle for the shot.

I appreciate you wanted to get the church with the sky behind. But in working for that composition, you've taken your eye off the bottom of the frame, where we have that plant coming right in at the extreme bottom left and the post with the sign on it at the extreme right. And I don't think the road contributes to the image.

Because you were pointing the camera upwards to get the church in, you also have some perspective distortion. As you can see, the verticals on the left side of the church are not vertical, they are leaning. That can be sorted with the perspective correction tool in PP software.

I hope these comments help in your analysis of this and other images. I think they key is about training yourself to look around every part of the frame before you press the shutter. And that's something that only comes with practice.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Malcolm

It's easy to see why they have weddings here, such a nice old church in a wonderful setting. I think your image is nice but in my opinion, could benefit from some extra pp. I hope you don't mind but I had a go at it and came up with this.

Added some sharpening, rotated and cropped a bit, increased colour saturation in the sky a bit, and applied some mild tone mapping to the rest of the image.

Cheers Dave

church of the good shepherd, NZ

Real Name
    Malcolm Collins

Thanks Donald, I shall endeavour to take your advice onboard,many thanks.