Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Finally!

Real Name
    Andrew

Finally!

So, I finally got off my butt, and set up some lighting. Let me know what you think!
    Finally!

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Re: Finally!

Andrew,

Please tell us what you did for the lighting. In general, I like it. There seems to be a tick of a red or pinkish hue at least on my monitor and the top of the chair is something I would consider eliminating. Lastly, it seems like the eyes lack a little "pop". Nonetheless, it is better than I have done and you have framed this Gent well.

Real Name
    Andrew

Hey Scott. Thanks. I agree with the eyes. And, it's not just your monitor. I added some split-toning in LR, and tried to pick a colour that closely emulated skin tones, so it came out in the chair too. I will try eliminating it, and make it truly black and white. Thanks for the feed-back!

As for the lighting - it was easy, just a small soft box, fired by a Speedlite. I positioned it about 3 feet from the model's right side, and a little high.

Thanks again!

Real Name
    Andrew

Here's one without the split toning. Still doesn't have great eyes, but at least it's not pink.
    Finally!

Real Name
    Andrew

PS - Ignore that white splotchy stuff just above the chair. This was a quick edit, and I didn't clean that up! Sorry!

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Andrew,

I am an expert portrait viewer but not an expert portrait photographer. LOL. This shot is really close in my opinion. Like I said it is in sort of a limbo between B&W and color. Seems like a bit of light, perhaps reflected, on the eyes might get them to pop a bit. I love shadows but a focus on the eyes would make this shot really come alive. Nonetheless, this is picking nits and it is a keeper as displayed!

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Andrew,
    You have made a pretty good portrait in my opinion. The expression is good. A couple things I would try would be either placing the one key light just a little more in front of the model - this would improve the light on the eyes (my preference, not necessarily yours), and reduce the very dark shadows on subject left. Alternatively, you might just use some fill flash from near the lens axis - built in flash even. The other thing I would reconsider is the chair. There is so much dark space between the face and the chair that the chair seems out of place to me. You might try cropping it out completely.
    Again, this is pretty good as it is, just things I would try if it were my photo.

Real Name
    Andrew

Great suggestions. Thanks Brian. I'll be back at it again tonight, so I'll make some modifications, and see what I can come up with!

Real Name
    Mark

Great first try Andrew, hope to have my first attempt next week so ill want your feedback, just need to get a little more light around camera right to get more detail on that side of his face.

mark