Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misty Morn

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Misty Morn

Travelled up to Lake Somerset this morning as it looked like it would be a nice clear morning for a dawn shot. However when I arrived there was a lot of fog around so I couldn't get the shot I was really after. Decided to see what I could do with the fog. This is a two image stitched panorama. I didn't do a lot of pp - just sharpening, shadow enhancement and brought up the blues and reds a small amount. Not sure whether it cuts the mustard or not. Comments and suggestions for further pp appreciated .

Pls click on image for best viewing.

Cheers Dave

Misty Morn
    Last edited by dje; 8th November 2011 at 06:37 AM.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Misty Morn

Hey Dave, I think the fog is a big plus here. If it were me I would remove the bottom center bush. I think this would strengthen the image and let us focus on the dead tree forrst in the water.

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

I like the shot. I think Jeeperman may be on to something though. I would use the content aware fill feature and take that bush out. If it was my image I would crop from the left 1/3 to the end. Here is my quick edit. I hope you don't mind.
    Misty Morn

Real Name
    Pierre

Dave
    Really nice early morning image. Sometimes the early morning light and fog make a difficult project. Yours is well done, and I like the crop as well.

Real Name
    Bobo

Very nice and the edit works too. Well done.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions. I certainly dont mind your edit Michael, I was going to ask for advice on how to get rid of that bush. I think it would be difficult do it cleanly with the Clone tool. I'll look into the Content Aware fill feature that you mention but I only have Elements and I'm not sure that it's available with it.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Hey Dave it is feature of CS5. To me it is one of the most useful features of CS5. This was a quick edit but it works best on photos like these. I think you are right though the cloning tool would look obvious.

Dave, I really like the bank and foliage that give the capture a bit of a frame. You may want to consider just taking out the bush in the center?

Regardless, it’s a nice photo; very atmospheric.

Real Name
    robert

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Travelled up to Lake Somerset this morning as it looked like it would be a nice clear morning for a dawn shot. However when I arrived there was a lot of fog around so I couldn't get the shot I was really after. Decided to see what I could do with the fog. This is a two image stitched panorama. I didn't do a lot of pp - just sharpening, shadow enhancement and brought up the blues and reds a small amount. Not sure whether it cuts the mustard or not. Comments and suggestions for further pp appreciated .

Pls click on image for best viewing.

WOW, you were blessed with fog to enhance an otherwise ok scene, now what can you do to assist the observer to appreciate your capture? 1st for me is what story do i want the image to convey & how do i want to direct the observer's glance to the image's main theme. Are there foreground elements that distract from the almost "ghostly" tree trunks emerging from the lake in the midground?i would eliminate the foreground bush along with the near ground semi tall tree in the water to its left; the fog nicely frames & gives a quasi surreal backdrop especially as teamed with hill further back. I think the left foreground water's edge can be retained, but i would clone out the left upper tree foliage; the left mid ground tree ridge with its reflection in the lake could be retained, but might benefit from a gradient filter, like what's found in lightroom, to slightly lighten it & its reflection; For me, this tree ridge helps to direct the observer's glance to encompass the scene's "actors",i.e. the emergent tree tops, their reflections on the lake's surface & their interaction with the fog.

Cheers Dave

Misty Morn

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by KTHXBAI View Post
    Hey Dave it is feature of CS5. To me it is one of the most useful features of CS5. This was a quick edit but it works best on photos like these. I think you are right though the cloning tool would look obvious.
    Michael it appears that the Spot Healing tool in Elements is a "Contents Aware fill tool" but i haven't had much success with it on that bush yet. Maybe it doesn't have the full features of CS5's Content Aware tool ? Anyway, I'll perservere.

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks for your comments Epicurean and Robert. It seems that there are differing opinions on what should go and what should stay! I'm leaning towards just removing the centre bush but I'll keep playing with it.

Cheers Dave

OK, so I just had to have a go at this wonderful, atmospheric photo challenge.

Since I prefer saturated pixs I adjusted accordingly. Denoised, cloned out the center bush and gave the whole thing a foggy vignette to focus on the dead trees.

Looks almost Oriental to me.

Misty Morn

There are many solutions here—all subjective and a matter of taste.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Viana View Post
    OK, so I just had to have a go at this wonderful, atmospheric photo challenge.

Since I prefer saturated pixs I adjusted accordingly. Denoised, cloned out the center bush and gave the whole thing a foggy vignette to focus on the dead trees.

Looks almost Oriental to me.

There are many solutions here—all subjective and a matter of taste.
    Thanks for your interest, it certainly produces a striking appearance. It's probably a bit extreme for my taste however as you say, there are many solutiuons.

PS: I see your "real name" has changed and I'm a bit confused as to how we should address you - is it just Viana ?

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dave

Apologies. The forum has been a bit hectic in the last 24/48 hours and I'm just catching up on threads that I've missed.

My compliments on a beautifully atmospheric, well exposed and composed image. I note the various comment about that foreground bush. Mmmm? I think we could debate whether it needs to be removed.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Dave

Apologies. The forum has been a bit hectic in the last 24/48 hours and I'm just catching up on threads that I've missed.

My compliments on a beautifully atmospheric, well exposed and composed image. I note the various comment about that foreground bush. Mmmm? I think we could debate whether it needs to be removed.
    Thanks Donald. I'm starting to think it was worth the 3AM start for this shot. Had to drive for 1.5 hrs to get there ! Sunrise was at 4:50AM.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks Donald. I'm starting to think it was worth the 3AM start for this shot. Had to drive for 1.5 hrs to get there ! Sunrise was at 4:50AM.
    I'm glad someone else does that sort of thing.

I find it totally invigorating to be up looking for images at that time in the morning. I feel more alive when doing that sort of thing than, probably, at any other time. Must say something about the state of my life - but that's for another forum!!

Thanks for your interest, it certainly produces a striking appearance. It's probably a bit extreme for my taste however as you say, there are many solutiuons.

It was meant as an example, Dave. Had I taken the photo I would know what I saw and the image/feeling that I wanted to project—which is always my objective. I want the viewer to have a sense of place and the emotions that go with that.

PS: I see your "real name" has changed and I'm a bit confused as to how we should address you - is it just Viana ?

Cheers Dave

I’ve changed it several times, as the mood strikes. lol

Viana (veeahnah) is good. (Just don’t call me late to dinner.)

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'm glad someone else does that sort of thing.

I find it totally invigorating to be up looking for images at that time in the morning. I feel more alive when doing that sort of thing than, probably, at any other time. Must say something about the state of my life - but that's for another forum!!
    It reminds me of the old song by Aussie rocker Billy Thorpe - "Most people I know think that I'm crazy"

Real Name
    Wendy

Yummy, I just love these misty morning shots. I agree about editing out the bush, but as to the rest of it, well, I like both edits, but it's really up to you and I don't think you can go wrong when you are starting with something like this. It's such a beautiful shot of a magical time of day

Wendy

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Yummy, I just love these misty morning shots. I agree about editing out the bush, but as to the rest of it, well, I like both edits, but it's really up to you and I don't think you can go wrong when you are starting with something like this. It's such a beautiful shot of a magical time of day

Wendy
    Thanks Wendy, glad you enjoyed. It is a magical time of day, particularly beside a misty lake. Very peaceful, just you and the birds.

Cheers Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast