Thread: Help please with ACR in PS CS4 and Lightroom

Real Name
    Russell

Help please with ACR in PS CS4 and Lightroom

Hi, I have Photoshop CS4 and now Lightroom 3, when I open an image in LR then try to open in PS4 I get the message "This version of LR may require ACR plugin Ver 6.5 for full compaibility please update" trouble is Ver 6.5 is for CS5 and not for earlier ver of PS. I get the option to render with lightroom or just open with PS what should I choose to do am I missing out by not redering with LR?
    Many Thanks
    Russ

Real Name
    Alex

Re: Help please with ACR in PS CS4 and Lightroom

Hi Russ,

The latest version of ACR added a few new features, for example to the vignetting and noise reduction. There is also a change from Process version 2003 to 2010. However you can get an update for CS4 to Camera Raw v5.7 which will recognise the new process version:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4681

Try installing that and then open from LR into PS. I do not think you will get full integration though. For that you will need PS5.

Without the latest Camera Raw the two options that you see are as follows:

1. Render with LR = Lightroom will create an edit copy of your image with all your current settings applied as a TIFF file. This new file will be added to the catalogue and opened in PS.

2. Open with PS = Lightroom will instruct Photoshop to open the image and apply all of the camera raw edits that it understands to the file. If you have not used any new features then the image will open OK.

I am not sure if you have the option to open the image as a smart object. This will open the raw file is PS using Camera Raw. The advantage of this is that if you then write any Camera Raw changes to XMP from Photoshop, Lightroom should be able to pick them up.

Regards,

Alex

Real Name
    Russell

Re: Help please with ACR in PS CS4 and Lightroom

Many thanks Alex from one Sussex (Seagulls) man to another.
    Russ
    Last edited by McQ; 6th November 2011 at 10:10 PM.