Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Multi-Card Reader Recommendations?

Multi-Card Reader Recommendations?

I am in the market for a new, multi-card reader. The upgraded software on my Nikon no longer permits the OS to recognize the card. So, I need to transfer via Lightroom which is slow and annoying in its limitations.

Any recommendations for a fast, reliable card reader?

Real Name
    Sean

Re: Multi-Card Reader Recommendations?

I've got two of the Sony MRW62E/S2/191 multi-card readers, and have never had a problem with them. It will accept nearly any kind of card.

Real Name
    Dave

This is based on no knowledge of Nikon or its software so could be total rubbish and I may be misunderstanding something but I think the problem may be somewhere else.

It seems odd that a software upgrade would make the card unrecognisable. It would have to format the card in a way that the OS cannot handle.

However, if this has happened then I'm not sure a new card reader will help - the reader only allow the data to be transferred, if that data cannot be read, then a new card reader is not going to make any difference.

Dave

Real Name
    Homer

You will find that inexpensive multi-format card readers freqently cannot read SDHC cards. They can read SD cards, but not SDHS cards even though they are the same size. The newer high capacity HC versions require a different kind of reader. Fortunately, you can buy USB adapters that can read the SDHC cards for under $10.

If you go this route, buy two: one for your computer and one camera bag. They come in handy.

Thanks much for the info, Sean and Homer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tringa View Post
    This is based on no knowledge of Nikon or its software so could be total rubbish and I may be misunderstanding something but I think the problem may be somewhere else.
    No, the problem is the Nikon software. My Mac OS will no longer recognize the cards while in the camera. Nikon needs to fix that. I have no intention of waiting until they do. The card is recognizable, but only in Lightroom and not merely by the OS. Nikon is notorious for doing this sort of thing and wanting people to use their proprietary software. I prefer simply pulling the files over into a folder that I have prepped and then importing what I need into Lightroom. I am much more organized that way since I may not want all photos in LR. Simply pulling the files from the card onto the computer is much, much faster. I can still do it with a single card reader. I do not want to have to keep track of several readers. Therefore, the desire for a multi-card reader once and for all.

Real Name
    Robin

If you want speed and value in the long term then look at a SanDisk ImageMate® All-in-One USB 3.0 Reader as the USB 3.0 is future (ish) proof while still working well with USB 2.0

The other thing is its compatible with UDMA 7 Compact Flash card technology as well as the latest UHS-1 SDXC cards making it very, very, very fast with the right kit.

Real Name
    Paul

I have been using a Lexar Professional UDMA Dual Slot USB reader; this model has been replaced by the Professional USB 3.0 Dual Slot reader (compatible with USB 2.0). I like this reader and it plays nicely with my Mac and Canon RAW files. I only use CF cards although it can read UDMA cards. Here's a link to the new one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Dual_Slot.html

- Paul -

Real Name
    Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Viana View Post
    No, the problem is the Nikon software. My Mac OS will no longer recognize the cards while in the camera.
    Have had a similar problem a while ago, changing USB setting in the setup menu from mtp/ptp to msc solved the problem.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks for the info Viana and for putting me right.

I can imagine this problem is very annoying.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Have had a similar problem a while ago, changing USB setting in the setup menu from mtp/ptp to msc solved the problem.
    Gees, thanks! I should have looked there. Just found a Ken Rockwell article on the set-up: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d30...enus-setup.htm Which of course I never looked at before because we techie people tend not to RTFM until there is no other way. It’s a matter of geek pride and hubris. I called Nikon right after I got the camera back, since they had serviced it. As is typical, the technician had no clue, claimed it had something to do with the Mac in spite of the fact that I mentioned the OS is the same as I had when the camera was sent for service. I’ve been too busy with work to investigate further. I read a bit online and noticed that there were some “incompatible” statements from Nikon. I’ve had several Nikons and none ever had to be set in this manner. The Mac just read the cards—period. Thanks for the answer. You are my “hero!”Now, what do you know about DVD players. . . lolThat said, I still plan to get a multi-card reader. So thanks everyone for the info.

Real Name
    Hero

Can't realy blame the support-crew/techies. Some defaults in firmware of most electronics often change from version to version. Usually to the last settings the dev-team used and are hardly ever communicated back down to support because "They are pretty irrelevant"
    btw, if you want tethered shooting, don't forget to put it back to mtp/ptp.

Real Name
    Keith

I have a Belkin Universal Media Reader. Takes every card imaginable, USB2 connection, It's a bit bulky in my camera bag but that's the only criticism

Real Name
    Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by PRSearls View Post
    I have been using a Lexar Professional UDMA Dual Slot USB reader; this model has been replaced by the Professional USB 3.0 Dual Slot reader (compatible with USB 2.0). I like this reader and it plays nicely with my Mac and Canon RAW files. I only use CF cards although it can read UDMA cards. Here's a link to the new one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Dual_Slot.html

- Paul -
    I recently purchased the same item. I am very happy with the speed and ease of use. Installing the card into the unit is even easier.